Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/20 17:32:03 UTC

What does it take to become a committer on ActiveMQ?

What do you feel it takes to become a committer on ActiveMQ?

In an effort to identify what is required to become a committer on
ActiveMQ, I have created a wiki page so that we can all collaborate to
create some guidelines:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/How+to+Become+a+Committer+on+the+ActiveMQ+Project

Please contribute your thoughts on this page and let's discuss the matter
on this thread.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: What does it take to become a committer on ActiveMQ?

Posted by Jim Gomes <e....@gmail.com>.
This is a great discussion for our community to have. I wonder if other
Apache communities have a similar document detailing their guidelines.
Something to keep in mind as we form our guidelines is the overall Apache
view of committers (from https://community.apache.org/contributors/):

Becoming a Committer

There is nothing at The Apache Software Foundation that says you must write
code in order to be a committer. Anyone who is supportive of the community
and works in any of the CoPDoC areas (*Co*mmunity, *P*roject, *Do*cumentation,
*C*ode) is a likely candidate for committership.

Apache is a meritocracy. That is, once someone has contributed sufficiently
to any area of CoPDoC they can be voted in as a committer. *Being a
committer does not mean you commit code, it means you are committed to the
project. (emphasis added)*

One of the key contributions people can make to the community is through
the support of a wide user base by assisting users on the user list,
writing user oriented docs and ensuring the user viewpoint is understood by
all developers. A main idea behind being a committer is the ability to be a
mentor and to work cooperatively with your peers.

Some of those users become committers in their own right. Some will test
code, some will write documentation, some will do bug triage and some will
write code.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, I think what we are circling around here is basically effective
communication (using the available tools).

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago Kronig <th...@gmail.com>.
I think it counts. Issue triage and bug reporting should count as
"participating in discussions".

Also, great timing! I want to become a ActiveMQ commiter and a guide truly
helps.

I'm mostly reading the code and proposing some fixes for potential thread
safety issues. Some PRs already were merged, and some I think will land
after 1.0 is released.

Please, tell me how can I be of help.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.