Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/28 20:07:07 UTC

[PMC VOTE] Approve use of Cassandra mark by mojo.codehaus.org

Since there does not seem to be any desire to accept CASSANDRA-1997

Can the PMC vote to approve the use of the Cassandra mark by the
mojo.codehaus.org project for the Cassandra Maven Plugin

+1 Approve
0 don't care
-1 Veto

72 hours

PMC votes only

-Stephen

Re: [PMC VOTE] Approve use of Cassandra mark by mojo.codehaus.org

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 19:25 +0000, ant elder wrote:
> -1. This isn't a veto yet but I've read CASSANDRA-1997 and
> CASSANDRA-1805 but still have no real understanding of why the
> contribution of this maven plugin is being rejected and told to go do
> it somewhere out of the ASF. Why isn't this wanted to be developed
> here?

It wasn't rejected (vetoed).  I don't feel strongly enough to veto it
outright.

I'm not committing it because to me it seems to fall into the same
category of stuff we're in the process of removing as part of
CASSANDRA-1997, and because I believe CASSANDRA-1997 was opened to solve
a legitimate problem.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: [PMC VOTE] Approve use of Cassandra mark by mojo.codehaus.org

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Stephen Connolly
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since there does not seem to be any desire to accept CASSANDRA-1997
>
> Can the PMC vote to approve the use of the Cassandra mark by the
> mojo.codehaus.org project for the Cassandra Maven Plugin
>
> +1 Approve
> 0 don't care
> -1 Veto
>
> 72 hours
>
> PMC votes only
>
> -Stephen

-1. This isn't a veto yet but I've read CASSANDRA-1997 and
CASSANDRA-1805 but still have no real understanding of why the
contribution of this maven plugin is being rejected and told to go do
it somewhere out of the ASF. Why isn't this wanted to be developed
here?

   ...ant

Re: [PMC VOTE] Approve use of Cassandra mark by mojo.codehaus.org

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
I'm a little confused.  What specific usage of an Apache mark is being
requested here?  Any specific permissions granted to use Apache marks to
refer to third party's goods, including "Cassandra", should include
trademarks@apache.org on any plans or decisions.

Hopefully PMC members are aware of the Apache Trademark Policy:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

And of the PMC branding requirements:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html

----
It sounds like there are two issues here (pardon me if I'm missing
something since I'm not on dev@ or pmc@ here):

- A technical issue with some of Stephen's (or related) code that
involves a Cassandra-related plugin for Maven.  I can't help on that
one, sorry.  8-)

- A potential request to use Apache's "Cassandra" trademark to refer to
software developed outside of the ASF.  This is typically not something
that is allowed.  As the primary mission of the ASF is to develop
software for the public good, in general third parties (which would
include things developed at codehaus) may not use Apache marks to refer
to their software products, unless they follow the "Powered By" style:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#poweredby

Note that trademarks are most important when referring to software
products (or services) - so uses of "Cassandra" or "Maven" or the like
in APIs, classnames, or in many cases module names is not typically an
issue.   Trademarks are all about how relevant consumers (i.e. your
users) think of the software that you're providing.

Please let me know on trademarks@ (a privately archived list) if you
have any questions about branding policy.

- Shane Curcuru
   VP, Brand Management, The Apache Software Foundation

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
adding shane.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.