Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "KARR, DAVID" <dk...@att.com> on 2012/09/09 23:20:34 UTC

Arguments for Maven vs. Gradle

At the risk of starting a flame war, what are some arguments for Maven vs. Gradle?

This is in the context of a change and risk-averse organization that currently has a large Ant build, although with some associated Maven builds.

I see the advantages of Gradle as a much better Ant, but I would be concerned about losing the advantages of Maven, like better integrated tool support.

One of the disadvantages of Gradle is the same as Ant, which is that it's very easy to have two people do similar things in a completely different way.  Gradle makes it easier to reuse things, but it doesn't seem like it nudges you that hard in that direction.

I can see the possibility of calling Groovy from Maven, but having that be Gradle code would require the Gradle runtime, and I don't see a "Gradle Maven plugin" yet (although I believe I've seen a "Maven Gradle plugin).  Even if you could do this, I'm not sure it makes sense or provides significant value.

Re: Arguments for Maven vs. Gradle

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
On Sep 10, 2012, at 4:15 AM, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> On 9 Sep 2012, at 22:20, "KARR, DAVID" <dk...@att.com> wrote:
>
>> One of the disadvantages of Gradle is the same as Ant, which is that it's very easy to have two people do similar things in a completely different way.
>
> This to me is the fatal flaw in ant and all tools like it. Ant allows the developer to do whatever they like, and so they do, unnecessarily different to everyone else, and this difference must be debugged, documented and learned, over and over again, wasting countless hours and money.
>
> In contrast, Maven represents discipline.
>
> To understand maven one first has to understand discipline in software engineering, why there is no value in solving a solved problem in a way that is different but no better than solutions that have gone before. Why the best documentation is simply no documentation at all. Why the gift of a repeatable build is priceless to the person who has to fix a bug under stressful conditions.

Well said by Ron and Graham.

With the knowledge as the person that wrote the "associated Maven build" (shameless plug ;) and without disclosing anything, I think you can see based on it's dependencies that it's not going away anytime soon.  There was a lot of resistance to it in the first place, to the point that I was seriously asked a few times why the build couldn't be ported to Ant.

What that says to me is there is a lot of organizational inertia around not doing the same thing multiple ways.  In interviewing stakeholders, nobody was attached to Ant, they just knew it's warts and how to get around.  It was a sunk cost.  Totally reasonable.

Gradle not only allows the same thing to be done multiple ways (like Ant), but now you would be introducing all of Gradle's multiple ways in it's own different way.  You'll have one paradigm that is "hard" but can't and won't be removed, one that is almost universally deprecated (I can't remember the last time I've seen a new project using it), and another that is some hybrid of the two, but with completely different syntactic sugar.  Given the resistance to adding one new build tool, adding a second for a total of three doesn't sound likely.

Also do not forget about plugin support necessary for target environments.  I did do the thought experiment at the time why the build could (or should) not be rewritten in Ant (welcome to the world of being a good contractor!), and the final reason Ant couldn't be used was target product plugin support for Ant wasn't there.  If you dig into the plugin context that is available when a plugin runs, one wouldn't seriously attempt to run Maven plugins in an Ant build.  I theoretically could have ported the plugin(s) to Ant task(s), but one key vendor plugin was proprietary.  This same problems will haunt you in Gradle until all vendors have equal support for Gradle as they do for Maven.

While I think I only wrote one plugin for that build, such internal plugins can be used in builds across the company.  This is another reason to standardize on a single build environment.

This isn't to say that you won't need to do some plugin work to get your new build in robust working order.  When I did the (now apparently missing) POC of it, I remember that there was some issues that were not solvable with five minutes of Maven foo (and why I stopped working on it).  But it wasn't weeks of work either.

HTH, Brian

Re: Arguments for Maven vs. Gradle

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 9 Sep 2012, at 22:20, "KARR, DAVID" <dk...@att.com> wrote:

> One of the disadvantages of Gradle is the same as Ant, which is that it's very easy to have two people do similar things in a completely different way.

This to me is the fatal flaw in ant and all tools like it. Ant allows the developer to do whatever they like, and so they do, unnecessarily different to everyone else, and this difference must be debugged, documented and learned, over and over again, wasting countless hours and money.

In contrast, Maven represents discipline.

To understand maven one first has to understand discipline in software engineering, why there is no value in solving a solved problem in a way that is different but no better than solutions that have gone before. Why the best documentation is simply no documentation at all. Why the gift of a repeatable build is priceless to the person who has to fix a bug under stressful conditions.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Arguments for Maven vs. Gradle

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
On Sep 11, 2012, at 8:22 PM, Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu> wrote:

> I'm not advocating that junior developers not be allowed to touch the
> build—otherwise how will they learn?—but I strongly recommend code review
> of any changes a junior developer makes to a build system.

Kind of roaming away from Maven v. Gradle, but a process that I've grown comfortable with in large groups is a) locking all the POMs for anyone who's not a "POM mentor", b) buddying everyone else with a mentor to submit their changes, and c) anyone starting a new subproject project gets full access to their own POM for the life of their project.

This tends to lessen POM damage as mentors take responsibility for their mentees, causes mentees to think harder about whether they really need a POM change to move forward (they learn it's certainly more expedient if they don't!), but still allows folks entrusted to create new modules the freedom to roam, make mistakes with projects that are not part of the mainline build yet, and generally get experience with POMs that they wouldn't get with patches alone.

Other tweaks are possible, such as having mentors being required to talk to architects for certain classes of changes (such as dependency changes).  Note that dependency changes can also be managed by locking down a repository manager and disabling auto downloading.

Brian

Re: Arguments for Maven vs. Gradle

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2012, at 10:14 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
>> I don't think it's useful to debate build tools and their builders or
>> tools on this list.
>
> I believe it is very useful. Many new users to maven don't fully understand the problem maven tries to solve, and a discussion like this one will hopefully shed more light on why maven approaches the build problem as it does.

My personal opinion is that any valuable light is overwhelmed by all
the heat. However, as I seem to be unusual in holding this opinion, I
climb back under my bridge.

Posted by Ansgar Konermann <an...@googlemail.com>.
Am 11.09.2012 22:59 schrieb "Arnaud Héritier" <ah...@gmail.com>:

> I find also such discussion interesting
> it is always good to know what is existing arround and if some inputs may
> drive to improve Maven itself.
> The fact to know also why Maven is here is an important thing to better us
> it.
> This is especially what we did with Nicolas De loof in our French book few
> years ago and readers loved a lot because they were able to understand why
> some choices were done in maven ..
>
> About Gradle, I studied it and tries to use it but for now I'm always not
> convinced about its ideology. I like to be free of my choices but I'm not
> sure that it is always a good thing. Standardization may be seen as a
> limitation but for whom ? For the team using it ? For people who will join
> later the project and will find something known ? For the transversal team
> in a company that will support dev teams ? Depending of the context, the
> "enforced" standardisation may be a good thing. I'm sure that a gradle
> build in experts hands may be magical but how often will it be the case
and
> for how many times ?
>
> What is fun is that this debate Gradle vs Maven makes me think to the
> debate Git vs SVN we have on the dev list.

Me too.

> What do we prefer ? Something
> powerful but perhaps to not put in all hands ? Or a common tool that is
> just doing the job ?

A tool which makes it likely that we achieve our goals easily.

What are our goals?

* issue control about what people do with maven source code?

* ensure plugin users know where their feedback should be sent to or where
to get help? How can this be done without interfering with other goals?

* Make contributing as easy as possible? If so: who are our potential new
contributors? Which tools do they like to use?

* Learn about what our users need? What other ways of doing this could be
advantageous, besides jira?

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
[...]

debate Git vs SVN we have on the dev list. What do we prefer ? Something

-----

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi everyone,

> Just let a few juniors touch the build and you are doomed pretty quickly.

I agree, and would generalize this statement to any build system I've ever
designed or worked with: shell scripts, Makefiles, Ant, Maven... it doesn't
matter. A build is a very finicky thing, especially for medium-to-large
projects, and increasingly so as it adds gravy to the build process.

I'm not advocating that junior developers not be allowed to touch the
build—otherwise how will they learn?—but I strongly recommend code review
of any changes a junior developer makes to a build system. In particular,
my experience with most junior developers is that they prefer graphical
tools and IDEs over the command line. So even though Maven is much more
standardized than, say, Ant, it is easy to screw up a Maven build by
editing the POMs using e.g. the Eclipse/M2E tabbed POM editor. (One of many
examples: if you use properties to define dependency versions, the
graphical editor will not know to use them when adding new dependencies.)

[Buildr] was great too in the beginning, but after 3 years the projects
> were insanely broken and we moved them back to maven again.

I definitely agree that making it harder to swim upstream against the
convention also makes it harder to wreck a build. That said, breaking
complex technical stuff will always be extremely doable for the clueless.
CI and unit testing (and someone with a clue) to the rescue!

Regards,
Curtis

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Oki, I confess... hang me now

"line on the left, only one cross each person"

;)

LieGrue,
stru

Posted by "Thiessen, Todd (Todd)" <tt...@avaya.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Gradle allows to hack something much quicker. In Maven you would need to write a plugin.

Otoh I've seen a Gradle project which went from great to barely maintainable in almost under a year.
Just let a few juniors touch the build and you are doomed pretty quickly.
The approach of gradle is not new. Check buildr [1] which does almost the same but in ruby instead of groovy. And I think it even predates gradle.
That was great too in the beginning, but after 3 years the projects were insanely broken and we moved them back to maven again.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.

Posted by "KARR, DAVID" <dk...@att.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.