Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/03 11:08:13 UTC

Re: Improving Jackrabbit integration with OSGi Service Registry

Is the proposal clear or some more details are required? Or its a
solution looking for problem :)

Any comments/feedback would be helpful

Chetan Mehrotra

Re: Improving Jackrabbit integration with OSGi Service Registry

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
Created SLING-2624 [1] with a patch for proposed approach

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-2624

Re: Improving Jackrabbit integration with OSGi Service Registry

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
> I haven't looked in detail, but IIUC what you're suggesting allows for
> injecting OSGi services in Jackrabbit instead of having to configure
> them in the repository.xml?

Yup

> If I'm correct, I agree that's useful. If that can be done in a
> backwards compatible way, I like the idea.

The proposed approach is backward compatible

> One issue might be the startup order of such things, would you need to
> guarantee that all such pluggable services are up before the
> repository starts, or is that handled cleanly?

Yes that too is handled. Currently it relies on Felix Dependency
Manager to coordinate repository startup order. If required it can be
managed via simple ServiceTracker implementation also. The startup
logic first uses BeanConfigVisitor to collect information about
services which need to be injected and then configures a
DependencyManager with those services as dependencies.

regards
Chetan

Re: Improving Jackrabbit integration with OSGi Service Registry

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Chetan,

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Chetan Mehrotra
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the proposal clear or some more details are required? Or its a
> solution looking for problem :)...

I haven't looked in detail, but IIUC what you're suggesting allows for
injecting OSGi services in Jackrabbit instead of having to configure
them in the repository.xml?

If I'm correct, I agree that's useful. If that can be done in a
backwards compatible way, I like the idea.

One issue might be the startup order of such things, would you need to
guarantee that all such pluggable services are up before the
repository starts, or is that handled cleanly?

-Bertrand