Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joe Smith <ap...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/12 06:39:52 UTC

[users@httpd] LimitRequestBody directive for HTTP response 413 error

LimitRequestBody directive (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody)
in httpd.conf is used to specify the limit on the allowed size of an HTTP request.
According to the doc., if I don't want any limit, then I don't need to add this
directive in httpd.conf. Correct?

Then how come I keep getting this HTTP response when I upload > 10MB files in my JSP application.

> By the way, this is the HTTP response:
> HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large
> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:25:50 GMT
> Server: IBM_HTTP_SERVER/1.3.26.2 Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
> Connection: close
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Even I added this directive, it is still unable to upload a file > 10MB. I really feel
very frustrated now, and have no clue what to do next.

please advise. thanks!!

Re: LimitRequestBody directive for HTTP response 413 error

Posted by Joe Smith <ap...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Jeff. I already search and replace PostSizeLimit="10000000" with PostSizeLimit="204800000" (200MB), but I still cannot upload a huge file > 10MB.
The interesting thing is I couldn't even get HTTP 413 response error anymore, and the page just display "Page cannot be displayed" after uploading a file for 30 seconds.

Am I missing something here? please advise more. thanks!!

Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:27:35 -0800 (PST), Joe Smith wrote:
> Thanks Jeff,
>
> In plugin config in websphere, PostSizeLimit="10000000", so this is only
> 10MB. Looks like this is the issue. Because I couldn't upload a file > 10MB.
> What do you think?

yes... you or somebody else has configured the WebSphere plug-in to
reject request bodies which are larger than that 10000000 bytes...
for your file upload of size > 10000000 bytes, this value for
PostSizeLimit will result in the WebSphere plug-in returning a 413
error to the web server (in your case, IHS), and the web server will
relay the 413 error back to the client

>Because I was using TCP Monitor tool to monitor the HTTP
> response, and I got the following, that's why I think this is Apache Web
> Server problem.
>
> > > By the way, this is the HTTP response:
> > > HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large
> > > Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:25:50 GMT
> > > Server: IBM_HTTP_SERVER/1.3.26.2 Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)

That web server is IBM HTTP Server, not Apache. The "Apache/1.3.26"
portion of the server string indicates the level of Apache on which
that particular level of IBM HTTP Server was based.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: LimitRequestBody directive for HTTP response 413 error

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Smith <ap...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Jeff,

In plugin config in websphere, PostSizeLimit="10000000", so this is only 10MB. Looks like this is the issue. Because I couldn't upload a file > 10MB. What do you think? Because I was using TCP Monitor tool to monitor the HTTP response, and I got the following, that's why I think this is Apache Web Server problem.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:59:01 -0800 (PST), Joe Smith wrote:

> LimitRequestBody directive
> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody)
> in httpd.conf is used to specify the limit on the allowed size of an HTTP
> request.
> According to the doc., if I don't want any limit, then I don't need to add
> this
> directive in httpd.conf. Correct?
>
> Then how come I keep getting this HTTP response when I upload > 10MB files
> in my JSP application.
>
> > By the way, this is the HTTP response:
> > HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large
> > Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:25:50 GMT
> > Server: IBM_HTTP_SERVER/1.3.26.2 Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
> > Connection: close
> > Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>
> Even I added this directive, it is still unable to upload a file > 10MB. I
> really feel
> very frustrated now, and have no clue what to do next.

a) checking could be performed by the application or app server or app
server plug-in; start by looking for PostSizeLimit in the WebSphere
plug-in config file

b) get IBM to investigate by opening a PMR with IBM support; generally
speaking, the folks hanging out here do not know what IBM HTTP Server
is and cannot field questions on it; discussions here are generally
limited to the web server which you download from httpd.apache.org
(you could do packet trace yourself between plug-in and app server to
see which side is generating the 413, thus narrowing the scope of
investigation dramatically)

Re: LimitRequestBody directive for HTTP response 413 error

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Smith <ap...@yahoo.com>.