Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2005/01/17 14:35:47 UTC

v0.9 and v1.x simultaneously - Expat conflict

Hi all,

Both v0.9 and v1.x of apr-util include a bundled copy of expat v1.95.2.

When you try and install both the v0.9 and v1.x apr-util libraries at the
same time, a conflict results as the same expat libraries are installed
twice in the same place.

Is it necessary to bundle expat at all?

How would somebody doing packaging handle expat if it were bundled with
apr-util?

Regards,
Graham

Re: v0.9 and v1.x simultaneously - Expat conflict

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Paul Querna said:

> I believe it is better to have APR-Util Depend on an External Expat...
> Just pass --with-expat=/usr/path/to/expat/prefix to ./configure.

Does expat have an expat-config helper application?

Regards,
Graham

Re: v0.9 and v1.x simultaneously - Expat conflict

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Paul Querna said:

> I believe it is better to have APR-Util Depend on an External Expat...
> Just pass --with-expat=/usr/path/to/expat/prefix to ./configure.

Done.

Regards,
Graham

Re: v0.9 and v1.x simultaneously - Expat conflict

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.

Re: v0.9 and v1.x simultaneously - Expat conflict

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:46:22PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Graham Leggett wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Both v0.9 and v1.x of apr-util include a bundled copy of expat v1.95.2.
> >
> >When you try and install both the v0.9 and v1.x apr-util libraries at the
> >same time, a conflict results as the same expat libraries are installed
> >twice in the same place.
> >
> >Is it necessary to bundle expat at all?
> >
> >How would somebody doing packaging handle expat if it were bundled with
> >apr-util?
>
> I'd say that anyone doing packaging should be externally packaging an xml
> parser, and that bundled dependencies are a convenience accomdation for
> ad-hoc /usr/local installs.

If you pass --with-expat or configure can find the installed expat, it'll use
that over the bundled copy.  So, yes, I agree that the packager should be
dealing with this explicitly.  But, we can't assume the from-source user has
expat installed.  -- justin

Re: v0.9 and v1.x simultaneously - Expat conflict

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Both v0.9 and v1.x of apr-util include a bundled copy of expat v1.95.2.
>
> When you try and install both the v0.9 and v1.x apr-util libraries at the
> same time, a conflict results as the same expat libraries are installed
> twice in the same place.
>
> Is it necessary to bundle expat at all?
>
> How would somebody doing packaging handle expat if it were bundled with
> apr-util?

I'd say that anyone doing packaging should be externally packaging an xml
parser, and that bundled dependencies are a convenience accomdation for
ad-hoc /usr/local installs.

Max.