Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/13 18:22:01 UTC

Are there any comparisons of Elastic Search specifically with SOLR 4?

Hello,

Has anybody compared feature set of SOLR 4 with Elastic Search? I saw
some earlier comparisons and they talked about sharding and
distributed service, etc. Seems to me, most of those are addressed in
version 4.

The only big issue I see is a better support from ES for nested items
and/or parent linking, which I guess on lucene level is done with some
sort of dynamic-style fields? Not sure what's SOLR's answer for that
(JOIN seems to be a little different).

I don't need that information for myself (I like SOLR well enough),
but I was asked to compare and am trying to actually understand the
difference. And, for our use-case, I think we can consider JSON vs.
QueryString and dynamic schema changes to be less important. I am
looking at non-reproducible difference between those two solutions
(given that they are both built on Lucene (4?) ).

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)

Re: Are there any comparisons of Elastic Search specifically with SOLR 4?

Posted by Bing Hua <bh...@cornell.edu>.
Most of existing comparisons were done on Solr3.x or earlier against ES.
After Solr4 added those cloud concepts similar to ES's, there are really
less differences. Solr is more heavier loaded and was not designed for
maximize elasticity In my opinion. It's not hard to decide which way to go
as long as you have a preference on better scalability or better stability &
online supports.

Bing

Re: Are there any comparisons of Elastic Search specifically with SOLR 4?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I saw some old posts on the Solr vs. ES topic, but they were about performance/benchmarks only, and even those were not done correctly.

We have a couple of posts on that topic pending over on Sematext Blog.  We can publish them next week, so keep an eye on http://blog.sematext.com/ and/or http://twitter.com/sematext .

Otis
----
Performance Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase - http://sematext.com/spm