Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by wytten <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/12 17:29:27 UTC

Firewall, is TCP 61616 sufficient?

I've got a very simple Java/Spring program that works with an out-of-the-box
ActiveMQ 5.2.0 configuration when the broker is local.  When I send a
message to the broker, I can see with the admin interface that the queue was
created and the message was received.

However, this same client program appears to block-on-send when the broker
is behind a firewall.
Opening TCP 61616 on the firewall allowed me to connect to the broker.
Using the admin interface, I can see that the queue is created, however no
message is received and the client blocks during send.

Is there some other port which needs to be opened in addition to TCP 61616?
I'm talking about the simplest case of using a single broker configuration.

ActiveMQ 5.2.0, Java 1.5, Spring 2.5.6

Thanks!

[code]
  public void say(final String message) {
    this.jmsTemplate.send(new MessageCreator() {

      public Message createMessage(Session session) throws JMSException {
        ObjectMessage object = session.createObjectMessage();
        object.setObject(message);
        return object;
      }

    });
[code]

Classpath:
\.m2\repository\org\springframework\spring\2.5.6\spring-2.5.6.jar
\.m2\repository\javax\jms\jms\1.1\jms-1.1.jar
\.m2\repository\org\apache\activemq\activemq-core\5.2.0\activemq-core-5.2.0.jar
\.m2\repository\org\apache\activemq\activeio-core\3.1.0\activeio-core-3.1.0.jar
\.m2\repository\org\apache\geronimo\specs\geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec\1.0\geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec-1.0.jar
\.m2\repository\commons-logging\commons-logging\1.1.1\commons-logging-1.1.1.jar

Re: Firewall, is TCP 61616 sufficient?

Posted by wytten <da...@gmail.com>.

This problem eventually went away by setting pubSubDomain to true in the
Spring JMS Template config,
but why this behaved differently in the presence of a firewall remains a
mystery.

Posted by wytten <da...@gmail.com>.

wytten wrote:

> Is there some other port which needs to be opened in addition to TCP
> 61616?  I'm talking about the simplest case of using a single broker
> configuration.

I still haven't resolved this issue--I can communicate with a broker on my
network but not with a broker on the other side of a firewall.  Can anyone
confirm that they are communicating through a firewall having opened only
TCP 61616?

Thanks.