Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/07/14 18:04:35 UTC

[admin] please trim the quoted text in replies to a minimum

As I'm catching up with a big backlog of mod_perl emails I notice that some
readers tend to either respond on top of a message with the original message
quoted below it, and some readers nicely followup at the end of the message
but keep the whole quoted original message on top. These approaches make the
reading process harder, in addition to wasting network resources.

You can certainly respond in any way you prefer, but if you can keep only the
relevant paragraphs of the text you are responding to and trim the rest, it'll
be easier for the rest of us to keep up with the threads. Remember that all
posts are archived [1] and one can always retrieve the original message if it
wasn't stored locally.

Of course don't jump to the other exteme edge and overtrim. Use your common
sense as a guide to how much is enough to keep the sufficient context.

Thanks for your consideration!

This issue is covered in our list's etiquette's guide:
http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html#Extracts_From_Other_Posts

[1]
http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html#Searchable_Archives

Re: [admin] please trim the quoted text in replies to a minimum

Posted by Dennis Stout <st...@stout.dyndns.org>.
> Of course don't jump to the other exteme edge and overtrim. Use your common
> sense as a guide to how much is enough to keep the sufficient context.

I remember once upon a lot of bluemoons ago, in the days when FidoNet took
place over phone line and 2400baud modems, when client readers would actually
warn you about sending a message that contained more than x percent quoted
material, and would automagically put your cursor underneath the original text
instead of above it!

*sigh* ...  Good old days, 1:17/71 was me :D

Dennis