Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2015/09/02 02:48:49 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Let’s agree on the text of the motion before we start a vote. I propose the following text (see below).

If you are a committer, please:

1. Review the text.

2. Remove your name from the list, if you do NOT wish to remain a committer after graduation. (You can email me privately if you prefer.)

3. Send nominations for an initial Vice President. (This will replace the placeholder, "<TBD>”, in the text below.)

At Ted’s suggestion, I started a thread on the Incubator list asking a shepherd to review.

Julian

- - - - snip

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public, related to parsing and planning queries on data in a wide variety of formats.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Calcite Project", be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Calcite Project be and hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of software related to interactive analysis of large-scale datasets; and be it further RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Calcite" be and hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Calcite Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Calcite Project; and be it further RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Calcite Project:

* Alan Gates <gates at apache dot org>
* Aman Sinha <amansinha at apache dot org>
* Ashutosh Chauhan <hashutosh at apache dot org>
* Chris Wensel <cwensel at apache dot org>
* James R. Taylor <jamestaylor at apache dot org>
* Jacques Nadeau <jacques at apache dot org>
* Jesús Camacho Rodríguez <jcamacho at apache dot org>
* Jinfeng Ni <jni at apache dot org>
* John Pullokkaran <jpullokk at apache dot org>
* Julian Hyde <jhyde at apache dot org>
* Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk at apache dot org>
* Steven Noels <stevenn at apache dot org>
* Ted Dunning <tdunning at apache dot org>
* Vladimir Sitnikov <vladimirsitnikov at apache dot org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that <TBD> be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Calcite, to serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Calcite Project be and hereby is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Calcite podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator Calcite podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are hereafter discharged.

- - - -

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
I gather it needs to be a description of the problem area but it's
impossible to nail down everything in one sentence. For comparison,
Drill's motion said "... related to interactive analysis of
large-scale datasets".

So I actually just took the first sentence of Calcite's project
description from the project status page[2].

A good topic for another thread would be "what is Calcite's
positioning?" How do we describe Calcite in a phrase, a sentence, or a
paragraph? Do we emphasize its SQL compliance or - my preference - its
support for a variety of front-end languages and back-end engines via
an intermediate algebra. The web site[3] is my attempt to boil it down
to 3 bullet points.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201410.mbox/%3CCAJkA4MGWatvihxMftAe6jnLQd-TTS9CejU9kKxT-87P_s9jk1Q@mail.gmail.com%3E

[2] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/calcite.html

[3] http://calcite.incubator.apache.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Aman Sinha <as...@maprtech.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Now that this discussion has reached equilibrium I’ll start a vote.

Per the discussion:
* One person asked to be removed from the list and the motion will reflect that.
* I will put myself forward as the initial VP.
* No bylaws, but we reached a consensus in the discussion that the post of VP should come up annually.

Julian

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation