Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mathias Herberts <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/31 14:14:56 UTC

Hadoop MapReduce Poster

Hi,

I'm in the process of putting together a 'Hadoop MapReduce Poster' so
my students can better understand the various steps of a MapReduce job
as ran by Hadoop.

I intend to release the Poster under a CC-BY-NC-ND license.

I'd be grateful if people could review the current draf (3) of the poster.

It is available as a 200 dpi PNG here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/herberts/6298203371

Any comment welcome.

Mathias.

Re: Hadoop MapReduce Poster

Posted by Mathijs Homminga <ma...@knowlogy.nl>.
Hi Mathias,

I made a M/R poster too, a long time ago (when I was first introduced to Hadoop).
Feel free to use it as inspiration.

http://static.kalooga.com/mapreduce.png

Cheers,
Mathijs

Re: Hadoop MapReduce Poster

Posted by Rob Marano <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mathias,

Re: Hadoop MapReduce Poster

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>.
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Mathias Herberts <
mathias.herberts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of putting together a 'Hadoop MapReduce Poster' so
> my students can better understand the various steps of a MapReduce job
> as ran by Hadoop.

Most of it is probably beneath the radar, but if you want the details of
how the sort actually works in MapReduce, I'd suggest going through Chris
Douglas' presentation on it.

http://www.slideshare.net/hadoopusergroup/ordered-record-collection?from=ss_embed

At the very least, you want to show the serialization before the sort in
the Mapper and deserialization in the Reducer, which gives you a good
platform to talk about why you need to define RawComparators for your key
types if you want reasonable performance out of the sort.

 -- Owen

Re: Hadoop MapReduce Poster

Posted by JAX <ja...@gmail.com>.
That's a great tutorial. I like the conciseness of it.

Jay Vyas
MMSB
UCHC

Re: Hadoop MapReduce Poster