Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/05/23 20:00:20 UTC

How about a quick 1.1.1?

How about we fix the actual show stoppers (only some of these
blockers are show stoppers) and ship what we got?  Then we just do a
dot release every few weeks as any additional things are fixed.  I
think having more regular (short) releases will be positive for the
community and will help to reduce our tendency to polish.  I know we
all want to put out the best software but there is a point at which
this desire starts to hurt us.

-dain

Re: How about a quick 1.1.1?

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
+1

John

Re: How about a quick 1.1.1?

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
+1

On May 23, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> [...]
>> defects are assigned to Aaron. Aaron, if you can keep the ones you
>> think you can handle over the next few days and unassign the
>> rest.  Everyone else can grab a JIRA or two and get them fixed and
>> closed aggressively we can get this completed.
>>
>> Our original target for this release was April 28 and we're about
>> a month behind.  I would very much like to ship this by next
>> Wednesday (May 31) but perhaps Friday is more realistic.
>>
>> If you have some cycles all help is appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> Aaron Mulder wrote:
>>> OK.  I'm well aware that I've assigned a large number of 1.1
>>> issues to
>>> myself.  Is there someone else I should assign them to?  And do you
>>> have a list of the "other issues" that you feel need to be addressed

-sachin

Re: How about a quick 1.1.1?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I'll start a new thread on the 1.2 topic.

Re: How about a quick 1.1.1?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
There are a lot of +1s here so I went ahead and added a 1.1.1 version
to jira.  If we decide not to do a 1.1.1, we can always delete it.

-dain

Re: How about a quick 1.1.1?

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: How about a quick 1.1.1?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Inline

Re: How about a quick 1.1.1?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On May 23, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Donald Woods wrote:

> I like the idea, but think we need more discussion on it -

I think we need a compromise here.  If we make it too restrictive,
people won't work on "dot" releases and they will drag out the normal
release cycle to polish their bits because they know it is there last
chance.  On the other side if we let anything in, our releases well
be viewed with suspicion.  I think the right tact to take here is to
come up with some guidelines, where stuff like schema are not changed
in backwards incompatible ways, and stuff like the web console can
have larger changes.

In the future, I'm hoping we can architect the server so fast moving
code, like the console, can be released at a different schedule then
say the transaction manager.  On this specific, case a modular
console would help :)

> How long would we do 1.1.x releases - until 1.2 is released?

I would say as long as people want to do them.  Frankly, I would be
surprised to see more that 2 of these, but if say Aaron ;) has the
energy to do more...

> We would require each committer to update trunk as fixes were
> applied to 1.1.x, right?

As long as the fix is still valid in trunk, absolutely.

> What criteria would be used to determine what could go into a 1.1.x
> vs. what should only go into trunk?

I would say 1.1.1 is limited to bug fixes and usability issues.  I
would put fixing console, cli, and tooling into the usability bucket
as long a the changes don't impact he mainline server code.

>   - Could prereq version updates be made in 1.1.x?

I don't know what you mean.

>   - Schema/plan changes would not be allowed in 1.1.x, right?

I would allow additive optional elements, which means that any 1.1.0
plan would work in 1.1.1+.

>   - Configuration plans would be locked down (no splitting/renaming
> contents of configs\)?

Got me.

Re: How about a quick 1.1.1?

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.