Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org> on 2022/04/08 10:12:44 UTC

[DISCUSS] What is really a Good first issue?

Hi, folks,

This question is benevolent and wise, and there is no uniform standard to
measure. The reason for the question is that I found only a few good first
issues when I looked through all the subproject[1] issues of the Apache
APISIX community.

Last year, Ruofei Zhao helped to build the Good first issue page[2], and
you will find that:

1. There have 11 issues with the Good first issue label in the
apache/apisix repo,

2. There have four issues in the apache/apisix-dashboard repo

3. There have 0 or few good first issues in other repos.

Maybe we don't have many good first issues currently, but I'd like to know
if we should have a clear scope for the Good first issues in Apache APISIX
projects? What's the good first issue that our community needs?

Here's my proposal for different levels of contributors:

1. Newbie

no knowledge of the project but wish to be involved in an open source
project/community.

1.2 Cases: i18n, Documentation typo fix.

2. Beginner

background in the knowledge required for API gateways (technology: Nginx,
OpenResty, etc.; knowledge: what is API gateway?)

2.2 Cases

2.2.1 Contribute independent features, i.e., issues that intersect less
with the core. e.g. apache/apisix plugins.

2.2.2 Contributing test coverage, e.g., Dashboard, Ingress Controller
project test writing.

2.2.3 Optimization of documentation, such as higher quality
internationalized documentation.

3. Familiar

of usage) and unfamiliarity with Apache APISIX code/products, but can get
up to speed quickly.

3.2 Cases: Contribute valuable features and try to fix non-urgent bugs
(giving each other some patience).

doing and why.

5.2 Cases: No restrictions, but tends to lead to becoming a community KOL,
contributing more valuable features.

After discussing and confirming the proposal, I hope we can pick out the
practical issues for contributors based on the recommendation.

Kindly share your opinion~

[1] https://github.com/apache/?q=apisix-&type=all&language=&sort=
[2] https://apisix.apache.org/contribute/

Best Regards!
@ Zhiyuan Ju <https://github.com/juzhiyuan>

Re: [DISCUSS] What is really a Good first issue?

Posted by Anita Ihuman <an...@api7.ai>.
I think using this level of grading issues is great.

Posted by Chever John <ch...@gmail.com>.
 Hi, Zhiyuan

I find that most of us are concerned about the need for making a quick
start or first issues. As a newbie, let me add some thoughts from other
perspectives.

I think a good first issue must be able to be completed. This means that
our maintainers can attempt to complete it before confirming that it can be
completed, for example as a bug or feat. I encountered a bug issue that
caused me to lose the confidence to continue contributing for a while.

I prefer to guide newbies in a progressive way to continue contributing to
the community, from newbie to beginner, familiar and advanced.

That is all my ideas. And I am looking forward your reply to talk about
this problem.

Best wish,
John Chever

Posted by Kwanhur Huang <hu...@163.com>.
Here[1] one guide help beginners to contribute to open source projects, I’m not sure if it’s helpful about this.

[1] https://firstcontributions.github.io/ <https://firstcontributions.github.io/>

Kwanhur Huang
TL;DR

Posted by Anita Ihuman <an...@api7.ai>.
An onboarding team sounds like a good plan. So newbies can always request
for help at their convenience.

Posted by Bobur Umurzokov <bo...@api7.ai>.
Hi Team,

Posted by Tabah Baridule <ta...@gmail.com>.
This is great, ever since I join the community I have been reviewing PRs
and trying to get my first contributions mostly around documentation. So it
is great to have a standard. The "Good first issue" label is mostly used by
other projects as well like the "thegooddocsproject". I think it is a great
step to follow.

Posted by Keer Liu <ke...@api7.ai>.

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chao Zhang <to...@apache.org>.
Hi Sheng,

Posted by Baoyuan <ba...@gmail.com>.
Before an issue is marked as a good first issue, we should make sure that
the issue is meaningful and that it makes the project better.
Don't intentionally create issues just to create some good first issue.

Anita Ihuman <an...@api7.ai> 于2022年4月10日周日 23:36写道:

Posted by Anita Ihuman <an...@api7.ai>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.