Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by PBal <bp...@axelero.hu> on 2001/12/19 15:47:16 UTC

apache 2.0 perchild with php

Hi Everyone!

I tried lots of stuff to get this setup working, but without success.
The perchild MPM is important, because I have different sites hosted on a machine any
it would be good if they couldn't read echo others php scripts, so I'd have to run them as
different users (there are passwords in those files, for instance).
The story:
The first thing I tried was 2.028 beta with php 4.1. Compiled Apache with modifying a
line (probably a type error?) in the source file perchild.c. Compiled php without
problems.
Edited httpd.conf appropiately; inserted line LoadModule, [...] application/x-httpd-php
[...] and the rest...
Result: It always just returned the php files without processing. I thought let's try a
newer PHP version. Compiled last weeks CVS tree. And it finally did what it was
expected to! index.php returned an error that an included file could not be found. This
was logical, because there was no php.ini and the include dir was not configured. I set
up php.ini in the directory shown by phpinfo(), and restarted the server: SEGFAULT.
When I removed php.ini, it worked again...
Then I tried the latest apache CVS, but perchild didn't compile in any of them. I even
tried 2.0.18 with php 4.0.6, both official releases. They compiled wonderfully compared
to what I've expected, but it returns the pages unprocessed! After almost a week of
continous compiling and some "experience" I thought someone in this world surely
succeeded with this, so what should I try to make it work?... waiting for the final release
is no option. :)

Is there another way of doing the same thing (running PHPs as different users)?
If yes, what exactly?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Balazs

Re: apache 2.0 perchild with php

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
It compiles and serves pages again already.  Getting it to pass file descriptors
between child processes is a much longer term project.  The current code
relies on an infrastructure that was removed from Apache a few months ago.
It is also incredibly Linux-centric.  I have the design for the new algorithm, and
I have explained it to a few people.  Aaron Bannert is going to start to work
on an IPC layer for APR which will allow the file descriptor passing to be more
cross-platform than it is now.  Don't expect anything until late January at the
earliest.

Ryan

Posted by PBal <bp...@axelero.hu>.
Hi!