Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by George Cheng <ge...@olvision.com> on 2000/07/12 11:27:32 UTC

Problem with Tomcat

Dear Sirs,

I am having some problems with my Tomcat.  I don't know if anyone can help me to solve the problem.

Platform/OS:  Sun Solaris 7.0
Web server:    Apache
DB:                Oracle
Java:            Java1.2
Tomcat:        3.1

Problem:
My Java Servlets run fine.  but than, after a while the servlets failed to display anything on the browser and a blank, white screen was displayed.  The servlets resumed their normal function after Tomcat was retsarted.  Log files are attached for your reference.

Your help in this matter would be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

George Cheng
Tel: (852) 2189 7839
Fax: (852) 2189 7811

Re: Problem with Tomcat

Posted by George Cheng <ge...@olvision.com>.
Xander,

We finally sorted that out.  The problem was due to oracle connection.  In our case, we received --> ORA-00020: maximum number of processes(65) exceeded.  What we did was to increase the number to 100.

There is nothing to do with TOMCAT.

Regards,

George Cheng
Posted by Holger Bille <ho...@get2net.dk>.
Newbie question:
I'm almost embarrassed to bring this up but I have failed utterly in finding
anything usefull in the FAQ and other ressources.

What is the minimum (stand alone) configuration of tomcat?
1. What files are needed? (jar, java, class, script...)
2. How exactly should they be organized?
3. PATH and CLASSPATH?
4. server.xml?
5. web.xml?
6. Other configuration files?

References to ressources on the net are welcome. I have tried the apache
ressources, but they didn't work for me.

I took what I thought was an out-of-the-box package (jakarta-tomcat.zip) but
it didn't work at all.
Here's my current server.xml:
<Server adminPort="-1" workDir="work">
 <ContextManager>
  <Context path="/" docBase="webpages">
   <!-- (1) HTTP Connector for stand-alone operation -->
   <Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector">
    <Parameter name="handler"
value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"/>
    <Parameter name="port" value="80"/>
   </Connector>
  </Context>
 </ContextManager>
</Server>

But when I start up tomcat it ends up saying:
Starting endpoint port="0"
handler="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"

I would expext 'port' to be "80" - and of course I can't connect to it!

Please forgive for posting this very fundamental issue - but I have wasted
WAY too much time on getting nowhere!

Thanx!

/HOLGER

Re: Problem with Tomcat

Posted by Tim Kientzle <ki...@acm.org>.
The JVM memory settings are options to the JVM.  Type 'java' by itself
to get a list of options, 'java -X' by itself to get a list of
"non-standard" options, including options to set the maximum size
of the Java heap.  You can include these options as part of JAVACMD
(easiest to just edit tomcat.sh and look for where it sets JAVACMD).

If you're using the Oracle 1.1.1 libraries (classes111.zip), you should
upgrade to a later version; the 'thin' drivers in the 1.1.1 version
have some bad memory leaks.  Also, if you're opening a connection for
each page, make sure you close the connection explicitly; never rely
on garbage collection to clean up your database handles.

For debugging, I've always found it useful to insert something like
the following at the beginning and end of my 'doGet' routine:

System.err.println("Heap size:
"+(Runtime.totalMemory()-Runtime.freeMemory()));

This simply queries the JVM for the amount of available memory, and is
a good way to monitor your heap size.  If your heap size continues
to grow on every page, then you've got a problem somewhere.  One
common problem is to design code that caches results for future use,
but never empties the cache.

				- Tim

Re: Second Request: Please Help

Posted by Pierre Neihouser <pi...@lionet.ie>.

Second Request: Please Help

Posted by Richard Lindsay <co...@worldshare.net>.
This is the second time I have posted this message. Could someone reply. I would be very grateful.

Original Post:

Hello every one, I am new to TomCat and was a bit overwhelmed when I started
to go threw the configuration files.

I am running mandrake 7.1 on a 233 MHz system with 27 megs of memory.
I have both the latest versions of apache and tomcat.

I am trying to set up a "In-process servlet containers" with Apache
webserver.

Please bear with me on the following questions if they seem very simplistic.
Linux is still new to me so there are allot of simple things that a veteran
users dose with out even thinking about it that a new user might not have a
clue. Thanks for you patients.

I am assuming that where ever it says

org.apache.tomcat.

I would change that to

"localserver.apache.tomcat" or would it be  "localserver.tomcat"

Also if any one has some tips for some one just starting to use tomcat that
would be great. I have managed to find all the switches for Apache but have
been unable to find out how to shut it down and to start it up again. If
some one could tell me this that would be great.

Thanks for all you Input.

Rick

Re: Problem with Tomcat

Posted by Xander Heemskerk <xh...@factotum.nl>.
George,

You can set the TOMCAT_OPTS environment setting for options for the JVM. If you run java -? or java -X on the command line you wil see max en min meomory hep settings.
Do you have a firewall between your tomcat server and database ? If so which ?
Greetings Xander

Re: Problem with Tomcat

Re: Problem with Tomcat