Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Andrea <an...@tarocch.it> on 2021/09/18 20:52:39 UTC

[HEADS-UP][DISCUSS] migrating Camel Kafka Connector to use kamelets

Hello,

finally the switch to use kamelets in Camel Kafka Connector project is in an usable state:

https://github.com/apache/camel-kafka-connector/tree/kamelets

this branch has refactored the existing core in reusable kamelets and has added generation of kafka connectors using the kamelet catalog as well. The generation happens using the following criteria:

- one kafka connector is generated for each kamelet in the kamelet catalog.
- one kafka connector is generated for each camel component ("the old way"), excluding the component used in at least one kamelet.

Going forward, as the kamelet catalog will add more kamelets, I personally prefer to further reduce the number of kafka connectors generated "the old way" (most probably selecting just the most meaningful/used/that makes sense).

These would made the project more maintainable by reducing number of connectors and improving their quality by reusing kamelets that are the preferred way in camel to define "connectors" and are used/will be used across all runtimes.

I would like to give everyone interested some time to look at the work and think about improvements/concerns before merging it to main and shortly after releasing a new version of Camel Kafka Connector.

Regards,
Andrea.

Re: [HEADS-UP][DISCUSS] migrating Camel Kafka Connector to use kamelets

Posted by Otavio Rodolfo Piske <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrea, that looks great!

I am looking forward to seeing this on the main tree. I think the idea of
releasing 0.11 based on Camel 3.11 is great and should give some room for
the users to migrate.

I hope the tests didn't give too much of a headache to convert o.O

Kind regards

--
Otavio R. Piske
http://orpiske.net

Re: [HEADS-UP][DISCUSS] migrating Camel Kafka Connector to use kamelets

Posted by Andrea <an...@tarocch.it>.
AH!

Interesting, yes with some minor changes into the plugins potentially we could give the option to generate a connector "the old way" through kameleon.

Should I open an issue to that subproject to keep track of this idea?

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zineb Bendhiba <be...@gmail.com>.
Hello Andrea,

I like this idea.

Zineb

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea <an...@tarocch.it>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hello,

It makes totally sense from my point of view.

I will be much more easier to maintain the project basing it on kamelets where available.

Thanks

--
Andrea Cosentino