Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2013/01/04 08:24:59 UTC

Hadoop build slaves software

Hey folks,

It looks like hadoop8 has recently come back online as a build slave,
but is failing all the builds because it has an ancient version of
protobuf (2.2.0):
todd@asf008:~$ protoc  --version
libprotoc 2.2.0

In contrast, other slaves have 2.4.1:
todd@asf001:~$ protoc --version
libprotoc 2.4.1

asf001 has the newer protoc in /usr/local/bin but asf008 does not.
Does anyone know how software is meant to be deployed on these build
slaves? I'm happy to download and install protobuf 2.4.1 into
/usr/local on asf008 if manual installation is the name of the game,
but it seems like we should be doing something a little more
reproducible than one-off builds by rando developers to manage our
toolchain on the Jenkins slaves.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Hadoop build slaves software

Posted by Rajiv Chittajallu <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
No, there is no CM on these machines. Whats required is mentioned in
the d-i or post scripts.

Since the conversation about build slaves came up, is there a
requirement for having ubuntu. I would prefer to install new machines
with centos. (d-i is a pta. Sorry, I don't want to start a debate here).

-rajive

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Guys should builds@ be copied on this?

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Do I hear puppet? :)

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Rajiv Chittajallu <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.
Im on it

-Giri

Posted by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.
I think I installed protoc in /usr/local and this is what I see

gkesavan@asf008:~$ which protoc
/usr/local/bin/protoc

-Giri

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
It was missing the c++ libraries though:
https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-HADOOP-Build/2002/artifact/trunk/patchprocess/patchJavacWarnings.txt

-Todd

Posted by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
OK. FYI, installed protoc on asf009, and the "g++-4.4-multilib"
packages on both asf008 and asf009. Checked the hadoop pipes native
build and it passes now. Fingers crossed...

-Todd

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Binglin Chang <de...@gmail.com>.