Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by derek fong <fo...@htc.ca> on 2006/04/19 17:35:07 UTC

Error checking out source to Samba share on Mac OS X

Hi,

I am using Subversion 1.3.1 (client) on Mac OS X 10.4.6 to connect to
a repository hosted on a Debian (Sarge) server.

When I attempt to perform a checkout of a project to a Samba share
(hosted on the same Debian server as the repository, mounted on OS
X), the operation runs for a while, but then I consistently get the
following error at the same point each time:

svn co $SVN/test/trunk test
[...]
A    test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/singleton.out
A    test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/singleton.diff
A    test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/error_log.log
A    test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/sql_ident.exp
subversion/libsvn_wc/log.c:338: (apr_err=155009)
svn: In directory 'test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests'
subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c:565: (apr_err=5)
svn: Can't copy 'test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/.svn/tmp/text-base/
null.exp.svn-base' to 'test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/null.exp.tmp':
Input/output error

However, I can perform a checkout of the same project to a local (HFS
+-formatted) directory without incident.

I've Googled around and found some suggestions that this might be due
to the case-insensitive nature of the HFS+ filesystem, but there are
no other project files similarly named, so I have ruled out that
possibility.  Also, from what I can tell, svn is trying to copy
null.exp.svn-base to null.exp.tmp, so I tried copying it myself after
I got that error (using cp, not using Subversion) and it worked, so
this does not appear to be an OS bug or anything like that.

Any tips or insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

-f

--
Derek Fong <de...@htc.ca>
Web Application Developer

Re: Error checking out source to Samba share on Mac OS X

Posted by derek fong <fo...@htc.ca>.
I just tried this on a relatively clean install of Mac OS X 10.4.6 on
a different machine and I'm still getting this error, on the exact
same file.  :(  Perhaps it's worth noting that this is a fairly large
(?) repository (more than 3000 files totalling about 115 MB) and the
paths can get quite long.

-f

Posted by Jesse Hogan <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 19, 2006, at 19:35, derek fong wrote:

> I am using Subversion 1.3.1 (client) on Mac OS X 10.4.6 to connect
> to a repository hosted on a Debian (Sarge) server.
>
> When I attempt to perform a checkout of a project to a Samba share
> (hosted on the same Debian server as the repository, mounted on OS
> X), the operation runs for a while, but then I consistently get the
> following error at the same point each time:
>
> svn co $SVN/test/trunk test
> [...]
> A    test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/singleton.out
> A    test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/singleton.diff
> A    test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/error_log.log
> A    test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/sql_ident.exp
> subversion/libsvn_wc/log.c:338: (apr_err=155009)
> svn: In directory 'test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests'
> subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c:565: (apr_err=5)
> svn: Can't copy 'test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/.svn/tmp/text-base/
> null.exp.svn-base' to 'test/lib/pear/tests/Log/tests/null.exp.tmp':
> Input/output error
>
> However, I can perform a checkout of the same project to a local
> (HFS+-formatted) directory without incident.

Yes, we just had this six days ago:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-04/0462.shtml

As far as I can tell, yes, checking out to a Samba share on Mac OS X
10.4 doesn't work, and no, nobody knows why.