Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/20 20:48:43 UTC

Time to own the camera?

Hey

We're getting a lot of people complaining about the camera crashing
and the lifecycle issues.  Now, I've tried using the built in
WebView.restoreState methods, and all I have gotten is a crashing
application, so I'm thinking that it might be time that we owned the
camera again.   I'm willing to do the work on this one, but I want to
know if people think this is a good idea, or whether we should just
shunt this to plugin developers again and hope they don't abandon it.

Any thoughts?

Joe

Re: Time to own the camera?

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
I wish we could blame the carriers on this one but we can't. It is a
architecture issue with the Android OS itself. A lot of these ideas
made more sense when phones didn't have 8MP or 12MP cameras.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

Re: Time to own the camera?

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
argh +1

Re: Time to own the camera?

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time to own the camera?

Posted by Lorin Beer <lo...@adobe.com>.

Re: Time to own the camera?

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.  Let me know which branch you're working on. I have some
camera code kicking around here as well to add to this.

Re: Time to own the camera?

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time to own the camera?

Posted by Brion Vibber <bv...@wikimedia.org>.
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're getting a lot of people complaining about the camera crashing
> and the lifecycle issues.  Now, I've tried using the built in
> WebView.restoreState methods, and all I have gotten is a crashing
> application, so I'm thinking that it might be time that we owned the
> camera again.   I'm willing to do the work on this one, but I want to
> know if people think this is a good idea, or whether we should just
> shunt this to plugin developers again and hope they don't abandon it.
>
> Any thoughts?

Our 'Wiki Loves Monuments' photo-upload app has run into a lot of OOM
crashes on Android when using the camera, and these are terribly hard to
debug -- we can't even reproduce them reliably on our own devices, and it's
unclear what we can do about them.

(We're using FILE_URI not DATA_URI, and in most cases shouldn't be
triggering much processing of the images, but we get crashes in the bitmap
read in the camera return handler code sometimes.)

If there's a solid solution in using an in-app camera screen, I would
strongly welcome it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / bvibber @ wikimedia.org)