Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Will Hartung <wi...@msoft.com> on 2002/08/26 22:59:19 UTC

How does Tomcat and/or servlets handle HTTP chunked reads?

I'm just curious how Tomcat handles HTTP requests that only want a portion
of the content. I'm specifically interested in things like PDF files, which
is the most common client of chunked data.

I suppose its solely up to the Servlet to figure out that the request wants
a chunk of data (from the request headers) and return the appropriate bits
(and status code), correct?

Has anyone played with this at all?

We're getting ready to put some Filters in front of some PDFs, and this
little detail caught my eye. We haven't actually tried anything yet. Just
wondering what others experiences were regarding chunked reads.

Thanx!

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)