Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/01 13:05:37 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Build on Windows

I think there's a whole host of cool things we could do with docker, but my
docker skills are not so good so it's hard for me to say how easy it is to
do things with it.

Anyone know what the Windows workflow would look like for using Docker for
the build? I think there are a couple use cases:

1. Modify code with the intent to submit a PR
2. Build to manually test the artifacts of a development version

Seems like, in the first case, you could be on windows, modify some code,
build with docker to validate you didn't break stuff and submit a PR. In
the second case, you could -DskipTests and get a build without too much
trouble on windows (unless i'm forgetting that thing go bad there too
though I think that we can at a minimum try to guarantee that we don't
break: mvn clean install -DskipTests on windows).  Of course, that won't
help if you're attempting to use GLV artifacts as they won't natively build
on windows since we won't support that. In that case, you'd have to fall
back to docker and get the artifacts somehow??

Re: [DISCUSS] Build on Windows

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
There clearly aren't many Windows fans on this list.:) If no one has
suggestions for how this might work I think it further proves the point
that there isn't much need to try to support a Windows build. Unless there
are objections in the next 72 hours (Monday, September 12, 2016 at 9AM
EST), I'm going to assume lazy consensus and close:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TINKERPOP-1179

and remove the appveyor.yaml. I don't think we should be closed off to
having a windows build, but we need someone who is going to take charge of
it, make it happen and then maintain it.