Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2003/12/08 13:28:39 UTC

connection refused, localhost not found

Hi Listers
I'm sceptical whether anybody else has ever suffered this bizarre
problem so I'm not expecting anybody to be able to help, but this is
seriously damaging my enjoyment of Monday morning.

I have tomcat 5.0.14 set up on one computer and it works fine mostly,
i.e. root context, JSP examples, manager apps are working fine.

The problem is with the app I'm developing. On Friday night last week I
did loads of debugging to sort out the JNDI connection pool, e.g.
configuring the app context, the web.xml etc.

Now when I try to call up http://localhost:8080/myapp/ the browser zooms
off to find http://www.localhost.net.au! When I try
http://127.0.0.1:8080/myapp/ I get a 'connection refused' pop-up from
the browsers - on my machine and on others. (root context still works as
I said).

Obviously I tried restarting tomcat, redeploying the app, taking out all
the filters, changing the context name, checked server.xml.

Anybody care to take a wild guess about what I need to do?

Tx
Adam

Re: connection refused, localhost not found

Posted by Damien Pacaud <dp...@supinfo.com>.
one idea that jumps in my head after re-reading your original post is : did
you configure well the entry for your app in the web.xml file?

just an idea (as you said you were looking for wild guesses ;) )

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
On 12/08/2003 02:41 PM Graham Reeds wrote:
>>Obviously I tried restarting tomcat, redeploying the app, taking out all
>>the filters, changing the context name, checked server.xml.
>
> I had this when I was developing.  I closed tomcat but because I had Lynx
> open I assumed that the dos window was the tomcat instance.  Took me about
> 10 minutes to figure my error.  I wonder how many hits that guy gets due to
> the localhost error?  Hope he pays by the megabyte because that is a big
> page to serve up:-)

Cheesy internet marketing rubbish - guess he reckons the traffic will
someday turn into dollars!

Re: connection refused, localhost not found

Posted by Graham Reeds <gr...@omnieng.co.uk>.
> Now when I try to call up http://localhost:8080/myapp/ the browser zooms
> off to find http://www.localhost.net.au! When I try
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/myapp/ I get a 'connection refused' pop-up from
> the browsers - on my machine and on others. (root context still works as
> I said).

My instant reaction was - start tomcat.  Then I read:

> Obviously I tried restarting tomcat, redeploying the app, taking out all
> the filters, changing the context name, checked server.xml.

I had this when I was developing.  I closed tomcat but because I had Lynx
open I assumed that the dos window was the tomcat instance.  Took me about
10 minutes to figure my error.  I wonder how many hits that guy gets due to
the localhost error?  Hope he pays by the megabyte because that is a big
page to serve up:-)

G.