Posted to user@geode.apache.org by João Peixoto <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/25 06:32:59 UTC

What is Geode's language level

I'm looking at the source code and I was wondering what is the language
level that Geode is aiming for. Currently it seems compatible with Java
1.6, wondering if that minimum will be raised.

Re: What is Geode's language level

Posted by Greg Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.
+dev

Joao,
You ask a very good question that we contributors need to add to the wiki, as well as some suggestions for easy places for new contributors to start.

Please subscribe to dev@geode.incubator.apache.org by sending an email to dev-subscribe@geode.incubator.apache.org.

Greg

This email encrypted by tiny buttons & fat thumbs, beta voice recognition, and autocorrect on my iPhone.

Posted by Greg Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.
+dev

Posted by Lyndon Adams <ly...@gmail.com>.
What is the best way forward to progress this ask? Via the Geode OSS committee? I vote we should move ASAP.

Lyndon Adams
London, SW11

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Lyndon,

Maybe you're getting confused between what language levels geode supports
and what language level geode code is written in? We don't need different
branches to support java 8, java 9, etc. Geode should already work with
later versions of java. If there are issues running on java 8 or 9 those
should just get filed and fixed.

Geode is current written in java 7 so that we can continue to support java
7 users. We may want to drop java 7 at some point to make life better for
geode *developers*, but geode *users* should already be able to use the
latest JVM versions.

-Dan

Posted by Lyndon Adams <ly...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kirk Lund <ki...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lyndon Adams <ly...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by William Markito Oliveira <wm...@pivotal.io>.
+1  for JDK 8 / Language Level 8 as well.

Please remember that JDK 7 is already no longer updated  - https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_7.xml <https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_7.xml> since April/2015.

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Lyndon Adams <ly...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@pivotal.io>.