Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Jayaprakash Kumar <ja...@db.com> on 2011/06/09 15:09:38 UTC

Derby Database stored procedure (SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE(?)) is failing to take database backup

Hi Team

We are facing the problem with derby Backup Database procedure function
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE(?) and
this function failed to take the backup of the database and throws below
error message.

Error Log:-
com.db.mbc.scheduler.jobs.JobExecutionException: Error in performing
backup database :A network protocol error was encountered and the
connection has been terminated: the requested command encountered an
unarchitected and implementation-specific condition for which there was no
architected message
        at
com.db.mbc.scheduler.jobs.DBBackupScheduleJob.backUpDB(DBBackupScheduleJob.java:155)

        at
com.db.mbc.scheduler.jobs.DBBackupScheduleJob.executeJob(DBBackupScheduleJob.java:88)

        at
com.db.mbc.scheduler.jobs.BaseScheduleJob.execute(BaseScheduleJob.java:97)

        at
com.db.mbc.base.job.SpringAwareJobActionListener.actionFired(SpringAwareJobActionListener.java:73)

        at
com.topgear.executer.impl.StdJobExecutionShell.run(StdJobExecutionShell.java:207)

        at
com.topgear.threadpool.impl.StdThreadPool.run(StdThreadPool.java:168)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Job execution COMPLETED with result [true]

-- Its look like bug in derby database.

-- Some one noticed about this error before but no one suggested work
around for this issue. This issue highly  blocking the customers to take
the database backup in production.

Regards,
Jayaprakash Kumar,
Deutsche Bank AG
Alfred-Herrhausen-Allee 16-24, 65760 Eschborn, Germany
Direct : +49(69)910-65832
MBC Hotline : +49 6991061400
?This mail is transmitted to you on behalf of HCL Technologies.
Diese Post wird Ihnen im Namen der HCL Technologies übermittelt?

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.

AW: Derby Database stored procedure (SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE(?)) is failing to take database backup

Posted by Fl...@sungard.com.
Jayaprakash,

the exception stack trace you sent is from your own classes. Were there any exception logged by the derby itself ? Or at least you should log the full stack trace of the SQLException you received.

I think you should not swallow up the original stacktrace but print it too:

} catch (SQLException exp) {

            log.error("Error in performing backup database :" +

exp.getMessage(), exp); // <-- add the original exception to the logger, if you're using Log4J.

}

Cheers,

Florin

Re: Derby Database stored procedure (SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE(?)) is failing to take database backup

Posted by Brett Wooldridge <br...@gmail.com>.
Jayaprakash,

We would all like to help you.  I think the issue is that there is a
lack of information to properly diagnose the problem.  Therefore a
workaround is hard to recommend.  From my perspective, the most
important piece of missing information is a thread dump.

There are many resources on the internet about how to get a thread
dump from your running application.  Here is one:

http://expertodev.wordpress.com/2009/05/30/how-to-take-java-thread-dump/

Regards,
Brett