Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Wa...@emc.com on 2010/02/24 00:14:07 UTC

Only one userid per realm cached in .subversion directory

Hi all

I'm using subversion version 1.6.9 under Cygwin and storing my project
on projectlocker

The problem I'm having is that a colleague is also using ProjectLocker
and the svn CLI is caching just one username/password per realm, and the
realm is just "<https://free1.projectlocker.com:443> Subversion
Repository"

That is, it doesn't include the repository path.

The effect of this is that every time I do repository updates for my
project, it asks for my username/password and caches that.
But as soon as I do some updates for his repository, I need to re-enter
my credentials.
This flip flops back and forwards between the two user names I have to
use on projectlocker.

Do you think it's desirable / possible to cache the credentials on a
lower, more specific level than the site name?

Thanks
~ Michael

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.6.9 (r901367)
   compiled Jan 21 2010, 16:47:22

Copyright (C) 2000-2009 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_neon : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using
Neon.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
protocol.
  - with Cyrus SASL authentication
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme
* ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using
serf.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme

Re: Only one userid per realm cached in .subversion directory

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:14,  <Wa...@emc.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm using subversion version 1.6.9 under Cygwin and storing my project
> on projectlocker

Why Cygwin? Unless you have an absolute requirement to use the Cygwin
client, use the native Win32 client. Cygwin introduces oddities in how
Subversion handles some things.

> The problem I'm having is that a colleague is also using ProjectLocker
> and the svn CLI is caching just one username/password per realm, and the
> realm is just "<https://free1.projectlocker.com:443> Subversion
> Repository"
>
> That is, it doesn't include the repository path.
>
> The effect of this is that every time I do repository updates for my
> project, it asks for my username/password and caches that.
> But as soon as I do some updates for his repository, I need to re-enter
> my credentials.
> This flip flops back and forwards between the two user names I have to
> use on projectlocker.
>
> Do you think it's desirable / possible to cache the credentials on a
> lower, more specific level than the site name?

I think this sounds like a very limited use case; I don't recall
anyone asking for something like this previously. Most people have
only a single set of credentials for a given server and use them
across all repositories.

This can also be worked around by setting up a different realm for
each repository, but that would require additional Apache
configuration.