Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by bfackrell <br...@saic.com> on 2011/04/05 18:46:44 UTC

Tomcat hardware requirments

What are the hardware requirements for Tomcat 7?  I looked (Google and on the
Apache website)

I’m just finishing a college course that taught Java technologies that
interact with Tomcat but I want to know more so I’ve decided to try to build
my own Tomcat server from scrap computer parts that I have.  The first thing
I need to know is: Will my junk even run Tomcat 7?

Re: Tomcat hardware requirments

Posted by Juha Laiho <Ju...@iki.fi>.
On 04/05/2011 07:46 PM, bfackrell wrote:
> What are the hardware requirements for Tomcat 7?  I looked (Google and on the
> Apache website)
>
> I’m just finishing a college course that taught Java technologies that
> interact with Tomcat but I want to know more so I’ve decided to try to build
> my own Tomcat server from scrap computer parts that I have.  The first thing
> I need to know is: Will my junk even run Tomcat 7?

The requirements largely come parts other than Tomcat:
- OS
- your application deployed on Tomcat

That being said, if you can get something with 512MB of memory, you're
most probably rather well off. Server startup time will depend on CPU
speed to some extent, but when running, response times should be ok for
running your private application (yes, I consider amount of memory
a more significant restriction than speed of CPU). Even 256MB of
memory could be enough if you trim down the OS side enough (like use
some Linux OS without the graphical user interfaces).

Then of course, if you already have even a somewhat current machine,
there isn't a real need for a separate server. It's commonplace for
developers to run Tomcat on their own workstations.
--
..Juha

Re: Tomcat hardware requirments

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 4/5/2011 12:46 PM, bfackrell wrote:

> What are the hardware requirements for Tomcat 7?  I looked (Google and on the
> Apache website)
>
> I’m just finishing a college course that taught Java technologies that
> interact with Tomcat but I want to know more so I’ve decided to try to build
> my own Tomcat server from scrap computer parts that I have.  The first thing
> I need to know is: Will my junk even run Tomcat 7?

If it will run windows or Linux, it will run tomcat.  Whether it will
run your app is an entirely different question, and one only you can
answer by benchmarking it.

RE: Tomcat hardware requirments

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: bfackrell [mailto:bradly.h.fackrell@saic.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat hardware requirments

> the processor and RAM on the Tomcat server (where the
> music and video will be stored) are not important.

Again, that depends on your webapp; if it tries to load the whole movie into memory before sending it to the output device, you might need quite a bit of RAM.  (Hint: don't do it that way :-)

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat hardware requirments

Posted by bfackrell <br...@saic.com>.

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

> On 4/5/2011 10:46 AM, bfackrell wrote:
>> What are the hardware requirements for Tomcat 7?  I looked (Google and on
>> the
>> Apache website)
>>
>> I’m just finishing a college course that taught Java technologies that
>> interact with Tomcat but I want to know more so I’ve decided to try to
>> build
>> my own Tomcat server from scrap computer parts that I have.  The first
>> thing
>> I need to know is: Will my junk even run Tomcat 7?
> The chance that your "junk" will run Tomcat 7 is very high. Tomcat has a
> very small foot print as an application server. Most of the memory
> and CPU requirements come from the application itself
>
> Filip

So if I’m just building a standalone server (more just for the experience
than anything else) all I need to be concerned about, as far as hardware
goes, is meeting the requirements of the OS?

I have already built an HTPC where I play movies and music so, if I
understand correctly, the processor and RAM on the Tomcat server (where the

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
>> From: bfackrell [mailto:bradly.h.fackrell@saic.com]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat hardware requirments
>> since I only have 512 MB of RAM will have to be Windows XP.
> Do yourself a favor and use Linux.
>
>   - Chuck
Or Windows 2000, if you can get a hold of a copy.  It's the
best-performing version of Windows.

RE: Tomcat hardware requirments

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by bfackrell <br...@saic.com>.

bfackrell wrote:

> What are the hardware requirements for Tomcat 7?  I looked (Google and on
> the Apache website)
>
> I’m just finishing a college course that taught Java technologies that
> interact with Tomcat but I want to know more so I’ve decided to try to
> build my own Tomcat server from scrap computer parts that I have.  The
> first thing I need to know is: Will my junk even run Tomcat 7?

Thanks for the input!

I just realized (from reading your input) that I was assuming that Tomcat
would also have or be my OS (I was thinking Windows-IIS). :drunk:   So, now
I see that my hardware design is based on the OS which, since I only have
512 MB of RAM will have to be Windows XP.

Thanks again!!