Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Auxon <au...@ntl.sympatico.ca> on 2000/10/24 08:25:24 UTC

Cocoon build success - Win2K / Sun Java 2 SDK 1.3 / IIS5 & Apache 1.1.14 : WebSphere SDK probs - plus an error

Final configuration:

Cocoon-dev 1.8
Windows 2000 Professional
Sun's Java 2 SDK 1.3
IIS 5
and/or
Apache 1.1.14

I managed to get things working before, the same configuration as above, but
without Apache.

Then I reformatted my hard drive and made some partitions.  I reinstalled
everything, but then, instead of using Sun's SDK, I tried the WebSphere Java
SDK and their runtime environment, since I heard IBM's VM was faster than
Sun's.

First of all, Cocoon wouldn't build with IBM's SDK.  If anyone wants the
error messages, just ask, and I'll go and try to duplicate the affair.  My
limited knowledge of Java makes me suspect I was missing some org.apache.?
package that would have been present in Sun's SDK.  PLEASE correct me if I
am wrong, because I would like to know.

So I went and got the binary distribution of Cocoon 1.8, and used the Win32
version of Cocoon.jar.  It worked - all the test pages worked BUT it was
incredibly slow.  VERY slow, definetely too slow to be acceptable, like >30
seconds for the initial load of the XSP page, for example, and even
cocoon.xml was loading very slowly ~10 seconds.

Why?

I thought maybe it was the IBM SDK, or VM, or something to do with the JIT
compiler ... I just don't know enough about it - any clues?

That's when I tried Apache 1.1.14 ... things seemed to speed up a little
bit, but not enough to make it reasonable.

So, I went and reinstalled the Sun Java 2 SDK 1.3, and built Cocoon-dev 1.8,
and it worked ... no errors in the build, like the first time I built it,
and it is so much faster as to be laughable.  The difference is worlds
apart - virtually no delay.  So, what really is the cause of the initial
speed problem?  Anyone?

Now, before everything appears peachy, I will point out one problem ... now
the cocoon.xml sample can't be found!  There is no apparent reason for this,
that I can imagine.  I used the new cocoon.properties file, placed it in the
correct directory, (where it used to be ...) everything seems fine, but I
still get this error message:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: File
"file:C:/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/ROOT/cocoon.xml" not found.
 at
org.apache.cocoon.parser.AbstractParser.fatalError(AbstractParser.java:105)
 at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.reportError(XMLParser.java:1037)
 at
org.apache.xerces.readers.DefaultEntityHandler.startReadingFromDocument(Defa
ultEntityHandler.java:512)
 at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parseSomeSetup(XMLParser.java:304)
 at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:899)
 at org.apache.cocoon.parser.XercesParser.parse(XercesParser.java:84)
 at org.apache.cocoon.parser.AbstractParser.parse(AbstractParser.java:83)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.producer.ProducerFromFile.getDocument(ProducerFromFile.jav
a:78)
 at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java:340)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:387)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:371)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:78
6)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:732)
 at
onnectionHandler.java:210)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:407)
 at
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I am guessing that someone will say it's the web.xml file in
%TOMCAT_HOME%/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF but I am sure that's not it.  I verified
that file, and it checks out the same way it was before, when I successfully
built the thing the first time.

Any ideas?  Everything else seems to be working just fine.

TIA,
Aux