Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Francis Galiegue <fg...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/01 09:34:06 UTC

Update Jackson dependencies?

Hello,

avro 1.7.4 still depends on Jackson 1.8.x, which is quite old now.

Is it planned to update that dependency to 2.1.x? This is what I use,
and when some parse exceptions are reported, I get NoSuchMethodErrors
on methods which didn't exist in 1.8.x but do in 2.1.x.

--
Francis Galiegue, fgaliegue@gmail.com
JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com

Re: Update Jackson dependencies?

Posted by Tatu Saloranta <ts...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Francis Galiegue <fg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Francis Galiegue <fg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> avro 1.7.4 still depends on Jackson 1.8.x, which is quite old now.
>>
>> Is it planned to update that dependency to 2.1.x? This is what I use,
>> and when some parse exceptions are reported, I get NoSuchMethodErrors
>> on methods which didn't exist in 1.8.x but do in 2.1.x.
>>

> No, I was wrong. 2.1.x is not the dependency causing trouble. My
> project depends on another one which uses 1.9, this is why I get this.

Correct: Jackson 1.x and 2.x use different Java packages and Maven
ids, so they can peacefully co-exist.
Conflicts will only occur within each major version.
This is intended to make it easier to incrementally upgrade to the new
major version.

-+ Tatu +-

Re: Update Jackson dependencies?

Posted by Francis Galiegue <fg...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Francis Galiegue <fg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> avro 1.7.4 still depends on Jackson 1.8.x, which is quite old now.
>
> Is it planned to update that dependency to 2.1.x? This is what I use,
> and when some parse exceptions are reported, I get NoSuchMethodErrors
> on methods which didn't exist in 1.8.x but do in 2.1.x.

No, I was wrong. 2.1.x is not the dependency causing trouble. My
project depends on another one which uses 1.9, this is why I get this.

Excluding jackson-* dependencies from the avro dependency makes things work OK.