Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mekin Maheshwari <me...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/07 14:57:03 UTC

More about function queries

Hi,

Just wanted to check if there is more documentation about function queries
besides  the java doc at
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/search/QueryParsing.html#parseFunction(java.lang.String,%20org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema)

Starting with what the fields for all the functions mean:
 eg. recip(myfield,1,2,3)

and people's experience about combining the functions.

I am working towards getting to a function which combines a document's
popularity, recency & relevance.
And to me it seems like a standard problem that most people would have
faced.
And while the exact boost values that you use for each of the fields
(functions for the field) might be different, the idea would be the same.

Thanks,
mekin

Re: More about function queries

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Just wanted to check if there is more documentation about function queries
: besides  the java doc at
: http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/search/QueryParsing.html#parseFunction(java.lang.String,%20org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema)

unfortunately no, but please feel free to add some to the wiki or submit a
Jira path to improve the javadocs :)

: Starting with what the fields for all the functions mean:
:  eg. recip(myfield,1,2,3)

they corrispond directly to the constructor args for the corrisponding
ValueSource implementations...

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/search/function/ValueSource.html

: I am working towards getting to a function which combines a document's
: popularity, recency & relevance.

a reciprical function wrapping a reverse ordinal function tends to work
well for rewarding recency (allthough keep in mind it rewards relative
ordering of docs, not strict date base recency because it's using hte
ordinal value)

popularity can be incorporated with a simple linera function on your
numeric field (assuming you store popularity as a "bigger==better" number.

-Hoss