Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Clifford Williams <cl...@icloud.com> on 2016/11/22 16:27:18 UTC

ANT vs Gradle (confused) Database setup and other configurations

First let me say I have not been in this list for a while. My interest in OFBiz has been renewed.

1. Database Setup: I was able to setup OFBiz 13.07 to use MySql (MariaDB) successfully following the documentation. Now that I would like to work with the latest code 16.11 I followed the Gradle docs which state the same process but there is no ${ofbiz install dir}/framework/entity/lib/jdbc directory. The system works perfectly fine with the derby database but I cannot find any way to use an alternate database? (Like I said, confused)

2. IP configurations: I was able to get OFBiz (ant and gradle) to respond to my hostname properly by modifying ${ofbiz install dir}/framework/webapp/config/url.properties and set the host name for 8443 and 8080. I see many posts and web articles referencing ${ofbiz install dir}/framework/base/config/ofbiz-containers.xml to set the IP address of the system. i.e. to configure OFBiz with NGINX. Editing this file I see no reference to <property name=“address” value=“0.0.0.0”/> in this file.

#1 is probably the most pressing for us. As we see this a required for a production system.

Re: ANT vs Gradle (confused) Database setup and other configurations

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Clifford,

For the database part, the only thing you need to do is add a dependency to
the mysql/postgres/whatever database driver in build.gradle and off you go.
Search in Jcenter for the database driver suitable for the database
installed on your production system.

For example, under the dependencies section you can add something like this
for mysql:

runtime 'mysql:mysql-connector-java:5.1.36'

Of course you need to make sure the connector is compatible with _your_
version of the database installed

Cheers,

Taher Alkhateeb

Posted by Clifford Williams <cl...@icloud.com>.
Will do. One of the parts of 16 that I found interesting was there was a Project module. Although not really targeted towards construction does have basic project management. I know it looks more targeted towards Agile development projects but Agile can work for a construction project in some ways. We would need to add Cost Codes, Cost allocation models and Revenue recognition, etc. Having both project management and job cost within the ERP would be very strong for construction companies.

On Nov 22, 2016, at 10:41 AM, Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com> wrote:

Then you are in luck - in terms of functionality we have not removed
anything. We cleaned-up and added new features, fixed bugs and updated some
core mechanics (the renderer is just one of the examples). Besides new
functionalities, we put alot of effort into our releases. So give it a try
and work with it as a developer - I am sure you will not be missing much.

Here's a link to the feature list, also outlining what is planned for future
releases: http://www.scipioerp.com/community/download/release-notes/

Feedback is always appreciated and best regards,
Paul

Re: ANT vs Gradle (confused) Database setup and other configurations

Posted by Clifford Williams <cl...@icloud.com>.
I did just that today. Impressive interface.

This is a side project by a few folks currently in the construction industry. Our goal is to create a Job Cost system and use OFBiz so as not to have to re-invent the wheel for all the other accounting functions.

On Nov 22, 2016, at 09:07 AM, Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com> wrote:

Perhaps it is also worth to checkout http://www.scipioerp.com - we have not migrated
to gradle and it is meant for production run :)

Re: ANT vs Gradle (confused) Database setup and other configurations

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
Perhaps it is also worth to checkout www.scipioerp.com - we have not migrated

Posted by Valery Ngah <nc...@gmail.com>.
Missed that ☺

On 11/22/16, 09:07, "Taher Alkhateeb" <sl...@gmail.com> wrote:

    We crossed on wire Valery, thank you for helping out :)

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Valery Ngah <nc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Clifford,

From: Clifford Williams <cl...@icloud.com>
Date: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 08:27
To: <us...@ofbiz.apache.org>
Subject: ANT vs Gradle (confused) Database setup and other configurations

#1 is probably the most pressing for us. As we see this a required for a production system.