Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Swapan Gupta <sw...@infosys.com> on 2006/04/24 07:04:16 UTC

304 response handling with Apache 2.0.53

Hi,

I am using Apache 2.0.53. I am observing that when a 304 "Not Modified"
response is returned accompanied by the "Location" header, the
"Location" does not reach the user.

I could see that this header is not mentioned in the RFC for 304
response. However, IIS does send this header back to the user along with
the 304.

So, I wanted to check if Apache does some special handling restricting
this Response header to be passed back to the user?

Is this a problem with Apache 2.0.53? If yes, has it been addressed in
any of the future Apache versions?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks.
-Swapan

Re: 304 response handling with Apache 2.0.53

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 4/24/06, Swapan Gupta <sw...@infosys.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Apache 2.0.53. I am observing that when a 304 "Not Modified"
> response is returned accompanied by the "Location" header, the
> "Location" does not reach the user.
>
> I could see that this header is not mentioned in the RFC for 304
> response. However, IIS does send this header back to the user along with
> the 304.
>
> So, I wanted to check if Apache does some special handling restricting
> this Response header to be passed back to the user?
>
> Is this a problem with Apache 2.0.53? If yes, has it been addressed in
> any of the future Apache versions?
>
> Looking forward to your response.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but RFC 2616 Section 10.3.5 is
pretty clear that only certain headers should be sent in a 304, and
Location isn't one of them.

Joshua.