Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Asensio, Rodrigo" <ro...@gilbarco.com> on 2006/06/07 18:47:49 UTC

Webapp Reload

Hello,
	We have a call center webapp with 100 simultaneous sessions all
time ( 24/7 ). This webapp has several sections that are updated with
new JSPs or Java Classes like 3 times a week.
Each time that we need update the webapp all users loose their sessions.
This is a big problem all time. Our solution was create a mirror server.
Then, each time that we need update server#1, everybody moves to #2. But
this solution I don't like at all.

If I have to update just JSPs there is no problem. But the big issue is
if I have to change class files. They do not take effect until next
tomcat restar or webapp reload.

Is there any way to avoid this ? Like a replace classes in the
classloader ? Or load dinamically new classes ?

Thanks all.

Rodrigo Asensio
Fuel Management Services
Gilbarco Veeder Root
phone: +1 336 547 5023
email: rodrigo.asensio@gilbarco.com

immediately.

Re: Webapp Reload

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
yes, login information is not preserved during a restart/reload.
you would have to come up with a custom solution for this, possible just
creating a simple extension to the StandardManager or do it within your
application using another session attribute and a filter

Filip

Filip Hanik

Re: Webapp Reload

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.
Things brings up an interesting point.  How do you make the standard tomcat
session attributes Serializable?  Because, I currently am using a security
constraint against an LDAP server.  However, every time I redeploy the
application the session is lost.

On 6/7/06, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> wrote:

> My guess is that your session attributes do not implement
> java.io.Serializable
>
> if they don't tomcat can not store them for a restart or reload
> Filip
>

> Asensio, Rodrigo wrote:
> > Hello,
> >       We have a call center webapp with 100 simultaneous sessions all
> > time ( 24/7 ). This webapp has several sections that are updated with
> > new JSPs or Java Classes like 3 times a week.
> > Each time that we need update the webapp all users loose their sessions.
> > This is a big problem all time. Our solution was create a mirror server.
> > Then, each time that we need update server#1, everybody moves to #2. But
> > this solution I don't like at all.
> >
> > If I have to update just JSPs there is no problem. But the big issue is
> > if I have to change class files. They do not take effect until next
> > tomcat restar or webapp reload.
> >
> > Is there any way to avoid this ? Like a replace classes in the
> > classloader ? Or load dinamically new classes ?
> >
> > Thanks all.

> > Rodrigo Asensio
> > Fuel Management Services
> > Gilbarco Veeder Root
> > phone: +1 336 547 5023
> > email: rodrigo.asensio@gilbarco.com
> >
> > This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
> > and/or proprietary information intended only for the addressee.
> > Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on
> > the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may
> > constitute a violation of law.  If you are not the intended
> > recipient, please notify the sender immediately by responding to
> > this e-mail, and delete the message from your system.  If you
> > have any questions about this e-mail please notify the sender
> > immediately.

> Filip Hanik

Marc Farrow

Re: Webapp Reload

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Asensio, Rodrigo wrote:
> Hello,
> 	We have a call center webapp with 100 simultaneous sessions all
> time ( 24/7 ). This webapp has several sections that are updated with
> new JSPs or Java Classes like 3 times a week.
> Each time that we need update the webapp all users loose their sessions.
> This is a big problem all time. Our solution was create a mirror server.
> Then, each time that we need update server#1, everybody moves to #2. But
> this solution I don't like at all.
>
> If I have to update just JSPs there is no problem. But the big issue is
> if I have to change class files. They do not take effect until next
> tomcat restar or webapp reload.
>
> Is there any way to avoid this ? Like a replace classes in the
> classloader ? Or load dinamically new classes ?
>
> Thanks all.

> Rodrigo Asensio
> Fuel Management Services
> Gilbarco Veeder Root
> phone: +1 336 547 5023
> email: rodrigo.asensio@gilbarco.com

> and/or proprietary information intended only for the addressee.
> Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on
> the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may
> constitute a violation of law.  If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by responding to
> this e-mail, and delete the message from your system.  If you
> have any questions about this e-mail please notify the sender
> immediately.

Filip Hanik