Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2003/08/29 11:32:54 UTC

Problems of the Cactus GUMP build - Need help

Hi,

Since about 2 weeks ago, one of the Cactus project build has been
failing
(http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/jakarta-cactus-sample-servlet-
13.html) with the error:

[cactus] Testcase:
testSetTag(org.apache.cactus.sample.unit.TestJspTagLifecycle):
Caused an ERROR
   [cactus] javax/servlet/jsp/el/VariableResolver
   [cactus] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/servlet/jsp/el/VariableResolver
   [cactus] 	at
org.apache.cactus.sample.unit.TestJspTagLifecycle.testSetTag(Unknown
Source)

Here's my analysis:
- testSetTag() uses the SetTag class from Jakarta-taglibs's
standard.jar.
- by looking at jakarta-taglibs gump descriptor, it seems it is now
using jakarta-servletapi-5-servlet and jakarta-servletapi-5-jsp
projects.
- However, the cactus build uses jakarta-servletapi-4

Thus if my understanding is correct, the standard library in CVS HEAD
needs Servlet API 2.4/JSP 2.0.

However, Cactus is not yet supporting Servlet API 2.4 (we're supporting
2.2 and 2.3 ATM). However, even if we supported 2.4, we would still need
to support 2.3 and the unit tests for 2.3 would fail if we used standard
from CVS HEAD.

The only solution I can see is to have standard jar installed as a Gump
package.

There are currently 2 streams of Cactus builds:
- one for Servlet API 2.2
- one for Servlet API 2.3

We will be adding an other stream soon for Servlet API 2.4. However, we
still need to support the other streams (at least the 2.3 one) and thus
rely on some older versions of libraries.

What do you think?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: Problems of the Cactus GUMP build - Need help

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Gump offers a (rarely used) 'tag' attribute on module definitions

Hmm, log4j, commons-httpclient and Tomcat use it 8-)

> I'm not sure how that could look, maybe something like the
> following:

Basically yes.

> Can someone with more Gump knowledge help out here?

I'll look into adding it, all you'd have to do then (I don't have
write access to Cactus' Gump descriptor) would be updating the
dependecy.

Stefan

Re: Problems of the Cactus GUMP build - Need help

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 29 Aug 2003, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> The problem is that now your build will not even be started as this
> branch depends on Jaxen.

One could change the <depends> in jstl-jsp-12.xml to point to
packaged-jaxen, though.

Stefan

RE: Problems of the Cactus GUMP build - Need help

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Ok thanks Stefan. I've made the change to the Cactus gump.xml. I've also
made the change in jstl-jsp-12 to point to the packaged jaxen.

Thanks again!
-Vincent

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Hi Vincent,

Gump offers a (rarely used) 'tag' attribute on module definitions [1], so
that we could fiund a way to use the STANDARD_1_0_BRANCH [2] of
jakarta-taglibs/standard. However that tag is only available on the module
level (IIUC), so we'd need to setup a new descriptor. I'm not sure how that
could look, maybe something like the following:

<module name="jakarta-taglibs-standard-1.0">
   <cvs repository="jakarta"
       module="jakarta-taglibs"
       dir="standard"
       tag="STANDARD_1_0_BRANCH"/>
   <project name="jakarta-taglibs-standard-1.0">
     ... (would depend on jakarta-servletapi-4 here)
   </project>
</module>

Can someone with more Gump knowledge help out here?

-chris

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/module.html
[2] http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-taglibs/standard/