Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com> on 2010/09/03 21:50:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Revisited: 500 internal server error, new problem

OK I have a somewhat related problem with the 500 error issue I was posting about earlier today.

I originally placed these below zen cart recommended directives in my conf.d config file for a site/domain that I am installing the newest version of Zen-Cart – php based shopping cart.   The developers claim that this file should be left as is, if I am to receive the protections that their new .htaccess files provide for their php scripts:

<Directory "/home/webspace/www/catalog/includes/">
AllowOverride Limit Options Indexes
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/webspace/www/catalog/zc_install/">
AllowOverride Limit Options Indexes
</Directory>

deny *everything*

<FilesMatch ".*">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

<FilesMatch ".*\.(js|JS|css|CSS|jpg|JPG|gif|GIF|png|PNG|swf|SWF)$">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Allow from all
</FilesMatch>

IndexIgnore */*

DirectoryIndex index.php

<FilesMatch ".*\..*">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

<FilesMatch "(^$|^favicon.ico$|.*\.(php|js|css|jpg|gif|png|html)$)">
  Order Allow,Deny
  Allow from all
</FilesMatch>

IndexIgnore */*

However, upon restart, Apache did not like the deny *everything* line and Apache would not restart, so I took that one line out, restarted httpd, and the server restarted fine.

Only problem is, the developer is now claiming that by taking that one line out, that I may as well take the entire directive set that they recommend out of my conf.d config file for this domain, because that one line if removed, disables all the protections provided in their new .htaccess files that came with Zen Cart.  Funny though, I could not get his install scripts to run without all the rest of the directives I left in.

So anyway he claims that there is a way to configure my Apache 2.2.3 server which would make use of the deny *everything* line in my conf.d file and provide full protection.  So I am now wondering what I need to do to set the switch to enable Apache to use this line and provide full protection.  Something in the main httpd.conf file?

He claims that this is out of the scope of their support arena, the server settings that utilize his above suggested (actually required for install) directives.

Thanks for any advice here.

Re: [users@httpd] Revisited: 500 internal server error, new problem

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.
  On 03/09/2010 3:50 PM, J Wilson wrote:
> OK I have a somewhat related problem with the 500 error issue I was posting about earlier today.
>
> I originally placed these below zen cart recommended directives in my conf.d config file for a site/domain that I am installing the newest version of Zen-Cart – php based shopping cart.   The developers claim that this file should be left as is, if I am to receive the protections that their new .htaccess files provide for their php scripts:
>
> <Directory "/home/webspace/www/catalog/includes/">
> AllowOverride Limit Options Indexes
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory "/home/webspace/www/catalog/zc_install/">
> AllowOverride Limit Options Indexes
> </Directory>
>
> deny *everything*
>
> <FilesMatch ".*">
>    Order Allow,Deny
>    Deny from all
> </FilesMatch>
>
> <FilesMatch ".*\.(js|JS|css|CSS|jpg|JPG|gif|GIF|png|PNG|swf|SWF)$">
>    Order Allow,Deny
>    Allow from all
> </FilesMatch>
>
> IndexIgnore */*
>
> DirectoryIndex index.php
>
> <FilesMatch ".*\..*">
>    Order Allow,Deny
>    Deny from all
> </FilesMatch>
>
> <FilesMatch "(^$|^favicon.ico$|.*\.(php|js|css|jpg|gif|png|html)$)">
>    Order Allow,Deny
>    Allow from all
> </FilesMatch>
>
> IndexIgnore */*
>

> However, upon restart, Apache did not like the deny *everything* line and Apache would not restart, so I took that one line out, restarted httpd, and the server restarted fine.
>
> Only problem is, the developer is now claiming that by taking that one line out, that I may as well take the entire directive set that they recommend out of my conf.d config file for this domain, because that one line if removed, disables all the protections provided in their new .htaccess files that came with Zen Cart.  Funny though, I could not get his install scripts to run without all the rest of the directives I left in.
>
> So anyway he claims that there is a way to configure my Apache 2.2.3 server which would make use of the deny *everything* line in my conf.d file and provide full protection.  So I am now wondering what I need to do to set the switch to enable Apache to use this line and provide full protection.  Something in the main httpd.conf file?
>
> He claims that this is out of the scope of their support arena, the server settings that utilize his above suggested (actually required for install) directives.
>
> Thanks for any advice here.

Hello,

*everything* is not a valid argument for the Deny directive. Please consult the official
documentation for proper usage.

Having said that, I believe that this line should be a comment to begin with, since the FilesMatch
block that follows WILL deny all requests.

Frank

Re: [users@httpd] Revisited: 500 internal server error, new problem

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sep 3, 2010, at 5:29 PM, J Wilson wrote:

> So does it appear that all I need to do is edit the main httpd.conf
> file and enter in
>
> ie:    AllowOverride All
>
> or:    AllowOverride Limit Indexes
>
> into httpd.conf?

Which one of those you use depends on what you're trying to do. Read
the AllowOverride docs, and decide which you wish to prefer. In a
security-sensitive application like a shopping cart, you want to allow
as little as possible.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: [users@httpd] Revisited: 500 internal server error, new problem

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by J Wilson <tr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
If someone is telling you that "deny *everything*" is valid Apache
httpd syntax, you can rest assured that they don't know what they're
talking about, and you might want to find support elsewhere.

Additionally, <Directory> blocks are not permitted in .htaccess files.

I would strongly encourage you to point this "developer" here, as they
might benefit from our help.

Meanwhile, I would encourage you to read these:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authz_host.html#deny
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authz_host.html#allow

> Only problem is, the developer is now claiming that by taking that
> one line out, that I may as well take the entire directive set that
> they recommend out of my conf.d config file for this domain, because
> that one line if removed, disables all the protections provided in
> their new .htaccess files that came with Zen Cart.  Funny though, I
> could not get his install scripts to run without all the rest of the
> directives I left in.
>
> So anyway he claims that there is a way to configure my Apache 2.2.3
> server which would make use of the deny *everything* line in my
> conf.d file and provide full protection.  So I am now wondering what
> I need to do to set the switch to enable Apache to use this line and
> provide full protection.  Something in the main httpd.conf file?
>
> He claims that this is out of the scope of their support arena, the
> server settings that utilize his above suggested (actually required
> for install) directives.
>
> Thanks for any advice here.

Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com