Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/08 10:34:37 UTC

[S2] EL support: Tomcat's Jasper instead of JUEL

Hi all!
I experimented the use of Tomcat's Jasper implementation of EL instead
of JUEL at Tiles, and it seems to work pretty well:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tiles/framework/trunk/tiles-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tiles/evaluator/el/

So I managed to remove dependency on JUEL (that is a nightmare when
deployed under a JSP 2.1 container, due to its javax.el libraries) and
use "official" Glassfish EL APIs and Tomcat implementation.
Do you think that we could do the same for Struts 2?

Thanks
Antonio

Re: [S2] EL support: Tomcat's Jasper instead of JUEL

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/8 Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>:
>  Does this replace the original jakarta-taglibs standard.jar or the
> javax.servlet.jstl.jar?

No, EL is part of the JSP specification since 2.0 version, so you can
find it (again!!! and I don't like it :-D ) under:

      <dependency>
         <groupId>javax.servlet.jsp</groupId>
         <artifactId>jsp-api</artifactId>
         <version>2.1</version>
         <scope>provided</scope>
      </dependency>

JSTL (API and implementation) 1.2 is here:

      <dependency>
         <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
         <artifactId>jstl</artifactId>
         <version>1.2</version>
         <scope>runtime</scope>
      </dependency>

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Antonio Petrelli on 08/05/08 10:07, wrote:
> 2008/5/8 Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>:
>> Antonio Petrelli on 08/05/08 09:34, wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!
>>> I experimented the use of Tomcat's Jasper implementation of EL instead
>>> of JUEL at Tiles, and it seems to work pretty well:
>
> Eh, it's a bit complicated, since the Glassfish team does not like
> Maven 2 very much. Here they are anyway:
>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>javax.el</groupId>
>       <artifactId>el-api</artifactId>
>       <version>1.0</version>
>       <scope>provided</scope>
>     </dependency>
>
> You have to add the repository too:
>
>     <repository>
>       <id>java_net</id>
>       <url>http://download.java.net/maven/1/</url>
>       <layout>legacy</layout>
>     </repository>
>
> Notice that Maven 2 repository of java.net contains a
> not-compiled-correctly version of the API. I sent an e-mail to the
> Glassfish team, but it seems that they won't update it :-(

Useful to know, thanks.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Antonio Petrelli on 08/05/08 09:34, wrote:
> Hi all!
> I experimented the use of Tomcat's Jasper implementation of EL instead
> of JUEL at Tiles, and it seems to work pretty well:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tiles/framework/trunk/tiles-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tiles/evaluator/el/
>
> So I managed to remove dependency on JUEL (that is a nightmare when
> deployed under a JSP 2.1 container, due to its javax.el libraries) and
> use "official" Glassfish EL APIs and Tomcat implementation.
> Do you think that we could do the same for Struts 2?

Hi Antonio
what are the official Glassfish EL APIs? Do you know their maven groupId and
artifactId?

Adam