Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ray Anderson <rs...@rb-com.com> on 2004/06/19 21:12:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Deflate

I'm having a horrible time getting deflate to work with IE6 (big surprise,
thanks M$) for streaming pdf files, so I needed to turn off deflate for only
that particular script, and just for that browser, but I just can't get it
to work.  Testing with IE everything works as expected, all files are
compressed EXCEPT this particular script.  But FireFox is also returning a
non-compressed file.  Can someone please tell me where I pulled a bonehead
manuver?

Here's the relevant lines of my configuration:

   SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

   # SetEnv dont_compress_pdf false

     SetEnv is_ie       0
     SetEnv is_pdf      0
     SetEnv no_compress 0

     SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI pricelist.php is_pdf 1

     BrowserMatch \bMSIE is_ie 1

     SetEnvIf is_pdf 1 no_compress 1
     SetEnvIf is_ie  1 no_compress 1

     SetEnvIf is_ie  0 no_compress 0
     SetEnvIf is_pdf 0 no_compress 0

     SetEnvIf no_compress 1 no-gzip dont-vary

Thanks in advance,

-=Ray
Ray Anderson
Systems Development Manager
916.788.2444 (Office)
916.798.9439 (Mobile)
PRIDE Industries
rsa@prideindustries.com
http://www.prideindustries.com
Aggressiveness was fundamental to success in air-to-air combat and if you
ever caught a fighter pilot in a defensive mood you had him licked before
you started shooting.
Captain David McCampbell, USN, Leading U.S. Navy Ace, WWII, 34 Victories (9
on One Mission)

RE: [users@httpd] Deflate

Posted by Ray Anderson <rs...@rb-com.com>.

> We have discussed this before in the dev-list.
> The common agreement was to turn off deflate for all PDF
> stuff. Or better,
> only compress a very few types.
>
> | AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml
>
> Depending on the version of IE, it trashes when you feed it a
> compressed
> CSS or JS file.
>
> André

André,

Thanks for the reply.

What a shame that all the browsers can't play nice.  I guess I'll follow the
recommendation and turn off gzip for anything other than plain text.  Sigh.
I was seeing significant bandwidth savings too!

Re: [users@httpd] Deflate

Posted by André Schild <a....@aarboard.ch>.