Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Eric Renouf <er...@skaion.com> on 2004/12/07 01:43:46 UTC

httpclient local address trouble

Hi,

I'm trying to setup an application that will run a bunch of HttpClient's from
the same machine, simulating a bunch of different "real" users.  One thing that
would make the more real is to have them coming from different IP addresses,
which are all aliased on the machine already.  I tried creating an
HostConfiguration object and calling
hostConf.setLocalAddress(InetAddress.getByName(ip)); for each IP.  Sometimes
this seems to work, but sometimes not.  When I watch the Apache logs I'll
sometimes see the IPs that I'm trying to use but more often than not I see the
default address for the host.  The line above does not raise an exception, and
if I call hostConf.getLocalAddress later it gives me the IP back (with a / in
front of it).

I try both calling the setHostConfiguration on the HttpClient object and also
passing it in when I call executeMethod (GetMethod only being used).  I'm using
the commons-httpclient-3.0-beta1 package.

Can someone help point me in the direction for what I can do to figure out what
I'm doing wrong here?  I've tried googling "httpclient local address" and tried
similar searches through the mailing list archives but haven't found anything
too promising yet.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Eric

Re: httpclient local address trouble

Posted by Eric Renouf <er...@skaion.com>.
No, this is the first time I've tried this at all.  I can try it with those
tomorrow and see if I have any better luck.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Eric,
I messed quite a bit with HostConfiguration just shortly before 3.0b1,
so some bugs may have crept in. File a bug report and I'll take it from
there

Oleg

Posted by Eric Renouf <er...@skaion.com>.

Posted by Eric Renouf <er...@skaion.com>.
Hmm, well now, when I tried it again with httpdclient 3.0 it seems to work now.
 One thing that I did find is that while I was trying several addresses before a
couple of them were not valid, so perhaps those were still coming from the
default ip, and for some reason I just wasn't seeing the others show up in
apache's log.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Eric,

Posted by Eric Renouf <er...@skaion.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Eric,

Posted by Eric Renouf <er...@skaion.com>.
Guess it didn't like my attachment, so here's some of the wire log:

2004/12/07 12:16:11:115 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.useragent = Jakarta Commons-HttpClient/3.0-beta1
2004/12/07 12:16:11:120 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.protocol.version = HTTP/1.1
2004/12/07 12:16:11:126 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection-manager.class = class
org.apache.commons.httpclient.SimpleHttpConnectionManager
2004/12/07 12:16:11:127 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.protocol.cookie-policy = rfc2109
2004/12/07 12:16:11:128 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.protocol.element-charset = US-ASCII
2004/12/07 12:16:11:128 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.protocol.content-charset = ISO-8859-1
2004/12/07 12:16:11:132 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.method.retry-handler =
org.apache.commons.httpclient.DefaultHttpMethodRetryHandler@863399
2004/12/07 12:16:11:134 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.dateparser.patterns = [EEE, dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss zzz, EEEE, dd-MMM-yy
HH:mm:ss zzz, EEE MMM d HH:mm:ss yyyy, EEE, dd-MMM-yyyy HH:mm:ss z, EEE,
dd-MMM-yyyy HH-mm-ss z, EEE, dd MMM yy HH:mm:ss z, EEE dd-MMM-yyyy HH:mm:ss z,
EEE dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss z, EEE dd-MMM-yyyy HH-mm-ss z, EEE dd-MMM-yy HH:mm:ss
z, EEE dd MMM yy HH:mm:ss z, EEE,dd-MMM-yy HH:mm:ss z, EEE,dd-MMM-yyyy HH:mm:ss
z, EEE, dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm:ss z]
2004/12/07 12:16:11:324 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection-manager.max-per-host = {HostConfiguration[]=100}
2004/12/07 12:16:11:326 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection-manager.max-total = 100
2004/12/07 12:16:11:326 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection.timeout = 5000
2004/12/07 12:16:11:327 EST [DEBUG] IdleConnectionHandler - Checking for
connections, idleTimeout: 1102439766327
2004/12/07 12:16:11:333 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - Java version: 1.5.0
2004/12/07 12:16:11:334 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - Java vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
2004/12/07 12:16:11:334 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - Java class path:
Bots.jar:commons-httpclient-3.0-beta1.jar:commons-logging-api.jar:commons-codec-1.3.jar
2004/12/07 12:16:11:334 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - Operating system name: Linux
2004/12/07 12:16:11:335 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - Operating system architecture: i386
2004/12/07 12:16:11:335 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - Operating system version:
2.4.20-8-ipswap
2004/12/07 12:16:11:922 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - SUN 1.5: SUN (DSA key/parameter
generation; DSA signing; SHA-1, MD5 digests; SecureRandom; X.509 certificates;
JKS keystore; PKIX CertPathValidator; PKIX CertPathBuilder; LDAP, Collection
CertStores)
2004/12/07 12:16:11:923 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - SunRsaSign 1.5: Sun RSA
signature provider
2004/12/07 12:16:11:923 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - SunJSSE 1.5: Sun JSSE
provider(PKCS12, SunX509 key/trust factories, SSLv3, TLSv1)
2004/12/07 12:16:11:923 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - SunJCE 1.5: SunJCE Provider
(implements RSA, DES, Triple DES, AES, Blowfish, ARCFOUR, RC2, PBE,
Diffie-Hellman, HMAC)
2004/12/07 12:16:11:924 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - SunJGSS 1.0: Sun (Kerberos v5)
2004/12/07 12:16:11:924 EST [DEBUG] HttpClient - SunSASL 1.5: Sun SASL
provider(implements client mechanisms for: DIGEST-MD5, GSSAPI, EXTERNAL, PLAIN,
CRAM-MD5; server mechanisms for: DIGEST-MD5, GSSAPI, CRAM-MD5)
2004/12/07 12:16:11:977 EST [DEBUG] MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager -
HttpConnectionManager.getConnection:  config =
HostConfiguration[host=http://www.cia.gov, localAddress=/100.20.140.113,
params=org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HostParams@136228], timeout = 0
2004/12/07 12:16:11:981 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection-manager.max-per-host = {HostConfiguration[]=100}
2004/12/07 12:16:11:982 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection-manager.max-total = 100
2004/12/07 12:16:11:982 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection.timeout = 5000
2004/12/07 12:16:11:982 EST [DEBUG] IdleConnectionHandler - Checking for
connections, idleTimeout: 1102439766982
2004/12/07 12:16:11:984 EST [DEBUG] MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager -
HttpConnectionManager.getConnection:  config =
HostConfiguration[host=http://www.thevillage.int, localAddress=/100.20.140.114,
params=org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HostParams@19bd03e], timeout = 0
2004/12/07 12:16:11:986 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection-manager.max-per-host = {HostConfiguration[]=100}
2004/12/07 12:16:11:987 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection-manager.max-total = 100
2004/12/07 12:16:11:987 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection.timeout = 5000
2004/12/07 12:16:11:987 EST [DEBUG] IdleConnectionHandler - Checking for
connections, idleTimeout: 1102439766987
2004/12/07 12:16:11:991 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection-manager.max-per-host = {HostConfiguration[]=100}
2004/12/07 12:16:11:991 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection-manager.max-total = 100
2004/12/07 12:16:11:992 EST [DEBUG] DefaultHttpParams - Set parameter
http.connection.timeout = 5000
2004/12/07 12:16:11:992 EST [DEBUG] IdleConnectionHandler - Checking for
connections, idleTimeout: 1102439766992
2004/12/07 12:16:11:995 EST [DEBUG] MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager -
HttpConnectionManager.getConnection:  config =
HostConfiguration[host=http://www.mi5-5.gov.uk, localAddress=/100.20.140.112,
params=org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HostParams@bfbdb0], timeout = 0
2004/12/07 12:16:11:997 EST [DEBUG] MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager -
Allocating new connection,
hostConfig=HostConfiguration[host=http://www.mi5-5.gov.uk,
localAddress=/100.20.140.112,
params=org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HostParams@3e86d0]
2004/12/07 12:16:12:000 EST [DEBUG] MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager -
Allocating new connection, hostConfig=HostConfiguration[host=http://www.cia.gov,
localAddress=/100.20.140.113,
params=org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HostParams@19fcc69]
2004/12/07 12:16:12:000 EST [DEBUG] MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager -
HttpConnectionManager.getConnection:  config =
HostConfiguration[host=http://www.openpost.com, localAddress=/100.20.140.111,
params=org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HostParams@253498], timeout = 0
2004/12/07 12:16:12:001 EST [DEBUG] MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager -
Allocating new connection,
hostConfig=HostConfiguration[host=http://www.openpost.com,
localAddress=/100.20.140.111,
params=org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HostParams@9fef6f]
2004/12/07 12:16:12:001 EST [DEBUG] MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager -
Allocating new connection,
hostConfig=HostConfiguration[host=http://www.thevillage.int,
localAddress=/100.20.140.114,
params=org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HostParams@209f4e]
2004/12/07 12:16:12:218 EST [DEBUG] HttpConnection - Open connection to
www.openpost.com:80
2004/12/07 12:16:12:234 EST [DEBUG] HttpConnection - Open connection to
www.thevillage.int:80
2004/12/07 12:16:12:238 EST [DEBUG] HttpConnection - Open connection to
www.cia.gov:80
2004/12/07 12:16:12:248 EST [DEBUG] header - >> "GET / HTTP/1.1[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:250 EST [DEBUG] HttpMethodBase - Adding Host request header
2004/12/07 12:16:12:218 EST [DEBUG] HttpConnection - Open connection to
www.mi5-5.gov.uk:80
2004/12/07 12:16:12:270 EST [DEBUG] header - >> "GET / HTTP/1.1[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:270 EST [DEBUG] HttpMethodBase - Adding Host request header
2004/12/07 12:16:12:272 EST [DEBUG] header - >> "GET / HTTP/1.1[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:273 EST [DEBUG] HttpMethodBase - Adding Host request header
2004/12/07 12:16:12:272 EST [DEBUG] header - >> "GET / HTTP/1.1[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:275 EST [DEBUG] HttpMethodBase - Adding Host request header
2004/12/07 12:16:12:284 EST [DEBUG] header - >> "User-Agent: Jakarta
Commons-HttpClient/3.0-beta1[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:288 EST [DEBUG] header - >> "User-Agent: Jakarta
Commons-HttpClient/3.0-beta1[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:288 EST [DEBUG] header - >> "Host: www.thevillage.int[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:309 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
(Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.7 OpenSSL/0.9.6b DAV/1.0.3 PHP/4.1.2
mod_perl/1.26[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:309 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Last-Modified: Tue, 11 May 2004
18:46:58 GMT[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:309 EST [DEBUG] header - << "ETag: "1525dc-6f-40a11fa2"[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:310 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Accept-Ranges: bytes[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:311 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Content-Length: 111[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:311 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Connection: close[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:312 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Content-Type: text/html[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:320 EST [DEBUG] header - << "HTTP/1.1 200 OK[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:321 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:16:12
GMT[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:322 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
(Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.7 OpenSSL/0.9.6b DAV/1.0.3 PHP/4.1.2
mod_perl/1.26[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:322 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Connection: close[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:323 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Transfer-Encoding: chunked[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:324 EST [DEBUG] header - << "HTTP/1.1 200 OK[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:326 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:16:12
GMT[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:326 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
(Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.7 OpenSSL/0.9.6b DAV/1.0.3 PHP/4.1.2
mod_perl/1.26[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:327 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Last-Modified: Mon, 15 Nov 2004
19:09:46 GMT[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:327 EST [DEBUG] header - << "ETag:
"c6f42-4942-4198fefa"[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:328 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Accept-Ranges: bytes[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:328 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Content-Length: 18754[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:329 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Connection: close[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:329 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Content-Type: text/html[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:331 EST [DEBUG] header - << "HTTP/1.1 200 OK[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:323 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Content-Type: text/html[\r][\n]"
2004/12/07 12:16:12:339 EST [DEBUG] header - << "Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:16:12
GMT[\r][\n]"
2

Posted by Eric Renouf <er...@skaion.com>.

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.