Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mike Austin <mi...@juggle.com> on 2012/03/14 00:06:51 UTC

index size with replication

I have a master with two slaves.  For some reason on the master if I do an
optimize after indexing on the master it double in size from 42meg to 90
meg.. however,  when the slaves replicate they get the 42meg index..

Should the master and slaves always be the same size?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: index size with replication

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
No, the deleted files do not get replicated. Instead, the slaves do the same thing as the master, holding on to the deleted files after the new files are copied over.

The optimize is obsoleting all of your index files, so maybe should quit doing that. Without an optimize, the deleted files will be much smaller and the replicated files will be much smaller. Once in a while, the automatic merging will rebuild the largest files, but it will happen less often.

You need free disk space equal to the index size anyway, to handle a full reindex or replicating a full reindex. So provide the free space and stop worrying about this.

Shawn is right, Unix does a more graceful job of handling file deletion, but it doesn't make a lot of difference here. Even if the files are unlinked, open files still use disk blocks.

wunder
Search Guy, Chegg

Posted by Mike Austin <mi...@juggle.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Austin <mi...@juggle.com>.
Shawn,

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/14/2012 2:54 PM, Mike Austin wrote:
> The odd thing is that if I optimize the index it doubles in size.. If I
> then, add one more document to the index it goes back down to half size?
>
> Is there a way to force this without needing to wait until another document
> is added? Or do you have more information on what you think is going on?
> I'm using a trunk version of solr4 from 9/12/2011 with a master with two
> slaves setup.  Everything besides this is working great!

The not-very-helpful-but-true answer: Don't run on Windows.  I checked
your prior messages to the list to verify that this is your
environment.  If you can control index updates so they don't happen at
the same time as your optimizes, you can also get around this problem by
doing the optimize twice.  You would have to be absolutely sure that no
changes are made to the index between the two optimizes, so the second
one basically doesn't do anything except take care of the deletes.

Nuts and bolts of why this happens: Solr keeps the old files open so the
existing reader can continue to serve queries.  That reader will not be
closed until the last query completes, which may not happen until well
after the time the new reader is completely online and ready.  I assume
that the delete attempt occurs as soon as the new index segments are
completely online, before the old reader begins to close.  I've not read
the source code to find out.

On Linux and other UNIX-like environments, you can delete files while
they are open by a process.  They continue to exist as in-memory links
and take up space until those processes close them, at which point they
are truly gone.  On Windows, an attempt to delete an open file will
fail, even if it's open read-only.

There are probably a number of ways that this problem could be solved
for Windows platforms.  The simplest that I can think of, assuming it's
even possible, would be to wait until the old reader is closed before
attempting the segment deletion.  That may not be possible - the
information may not be available to the portion of code that does the
deletion.  There are a few things standing in the way of me fixing this
problem myself: 1) I'm a beginning Java programmer.  2) I'm not familiar

Posted by Mike Austin <mi...@juggle.com>.
Thanks.  I might just remove the optimize.  I had it planned for once a
week but maybe I'll just do it and restart the app if performance slows.

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Mike Austin <mi...@juggle.com>.

Posted by Mike Austin <mi...@juggle.com>.

Posted by Li Li <fa...@gmail.com>.