Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David Gay <dg...@emforium.com> on 2008/12/12 18:05:15 UTC

EntityEngine: Conditional view-links in a view-entity

Hi, all!  I've been looking into using view-entity entries to (in this
instance) collect product information, and have some questions about
"static conditionals".  But first, some context for discussion
purposes.  ;-)

Let's say I'd like to have a Product view that includes the product's
SKU as a column.  Here's a sample entitydef.xml (angle-brackets
converted to square-brackets):

[view-entity entity-name="ProductFindViewEntity"
package-name="com.emforium.inventory" title="Product-Find View
Entity"]
    [member-entity entity-alias="PR" entity-name="Product" /]
    [member-entity entity-alias="SKU" entity-name="GoodIdentification" /]
    [alias entity-alias="PR" name="productId" /]
    [alias entity-alias="SKU" name="sku" field="idValue" /]
    [alias entity-alias="SKU" name="skuTypeId"
field="goodIdentificationTypeId" /]
    [view-link entity-alias="PR" rel-entity-alias="SKU" rel-optional="true"]
        [key-map field-name="productId" /]
    [/view-link]
[/view-entity]

Let's say I've also added two GoodIdentification rows for a product:

[GoodIdentification productId="ENCHILADAS"
goodIdentificationTypeId="SKU" idValue="ENCH-SKU" /]
[GoodIdentification productId="ENCHILADAS"
goodIdentificationTypeId="MANUFACTURER_ID_NO" idValue="123-ENCH-456"
/]

Now, a query for productId="ENCHILADAS" on this entity will yield two rows:

productId="ENCHILADAS", sku="ENCH-SKU", skuTypeId="SKU"
productId="ENCHILADAS", sku="123-ENCH-456", skuTypeId="MANUFACTURER_ID_NO"

Obviously, I need a conditional (e.g. skuTypeId="SKU" OR
skuTypeId=NULL), which I can do easily enough each place I do the
query, but I'd prefer to add that to the entitydef.xml file, since
it's the same in all cases (and avoids messy null-logic, etcetera).
Perhaps something like this:

    [view-link entity-alias="PR" rel-entity-alias="SKU" rel-optional="true"]
        [key-map field-name="productId" /]
        [where entity-alias="SKU" field="goodIdentificationTypeId"
value="SKU" /]
    [/view-link]

So, my questions: Have I missed some already-available functionality?
Is there a best-practice for this situation?  Has anyone else
encountered this issue, and if so, how did you solve it?  Are there
arguments against this sort of extension?

Thanks in advance,
.Dave

Re: EntityEngine: Conditional view-links in a view-entity

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
forgot
View Links

View links are used to specify the links between the member-entities of
the view. They link one entity-alias to another and use key-maps just
like relations. Here the field-name specifies the name of the field on
the aliased entity and the rel-field-name the field on the related
aliased entity. As with many other things, the rel-field-name is
optional if it is the same as the field-name.

To represent an outer join you can specify in a view-link element that
the related entity is optional using the rel-optional attribute, which
can be either "true" or "false", and of course defaults to "false". The
Entity Engine will generate ANSI, Oracle Theta, or MS SQL Server Theta
style join code depending on the setting in the entityengine.xml file.
See the Entity Engine Configuration Guide for more information.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 12/17/2008 11:41 AM:

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David Gay wrote:
> The standard approach seems to be putting the conditional/constraint
> logic in each usage point (form/screen level).  My programmer's
> understanding suggests that these constraints would be better located
> in the view-entity's declaration (since they never change and can be
> localized in one place).

No, they wouldn't be better placed there. Keeping conditional logic out
of the entity definition allows the entity to be used in other places -
with other conditions.

> Our questions are:
> - Have we missed some already-available functionality (at the
> entitymodel.xml level)?
> - Is there a best-practice for this situation, or is it more of a
> "this is just what people are doing" thing?
> - Are there arguments _against_ either of the above extensions?
>
> We really want to do the right thing with this.  :-)

The main argument against embedded SQL is that you lose platform
independence.

-Adrian

Re: EntityEngine: Conditional view-links in a view-entity

Posted by David Gay <dg...@emforium.com>.
Thank you for the replies, BJ.  :-)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by David Gay <dg...@emforium.com>.