Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by dh...@harrisonburg.k12.va.us on 2011/06/08 21:50:10 UTC

[users@httpd] .htaccess

I currently use .htaccess to prompt for username and password and
point it to an ldap database running on my mailserver.  Im considering
moving all my mail accounts to gmail.  Does anyone know if it is
possible to authenticate with .htaccess pointing to gmail for info?

thanks,

ddh

--
Dwayne Hottinger
Network Administrator

-- Albert Einstein

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral
crisis, preserved their neutrality."
-- Dante

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess

Posted by dh...@harrisonburg.k12.va.us.
Quoting Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>:

>  On June 8, 2011 15:50 , dhottinger@harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
>> I currently use .htaccess to prompt for username and password and
>> point it to an ldap database running on my mailserver.  Im
>> considering moving all my mail accounts to gmail.  Does anyone know
>>  if it is possible to authenticate with .htaccess pointing to gmail
>>  for info?
>
> It might be better to have your web application (WordPress, Drupal,
> whatever) authenticate the user via OAuth2 or OpenID using the user's
> Google account, instead of having Apache authenticate the user.  I have
> successfully done this, and can vouch that it works.
>
> If you are only serving static content (that is, if you are not running
> a web application) or if you have another reason to want Apache HTTP
> Server to do the authentication itself, then take a look at
> mod_auth_openid.  I have never tried using it myself, so I don't know
> if it will meet your needs or not.  See
> http://findingscience.com/mod_auth_openid/   Keep in mind that this
> will allow anyone to whom Google has issued credentials to
> authenticate; you'll likely need to add some sort of authorization in
> order to restrict access to the subset of authenticated users who you
> actually wish to grant access to.
>
> A pedantic point:  .htaccess does not "authenticate" anything, it's
> just an alternative way of specifying configuration directives, as
> opposed to requiring all configuration directives to be in the main
> configuration file (e.g., httpd.conf).  If you specify authentication
> directives in .htaccess, it is actually httpd that performs the
> requested authentication.
>
> --
>   Mark Montague
>   mark@catseye.org

Thanks Mark.  I appreciate the info.  I also realize that apache isnt
authenticating, thanks for the pointer there.

as always very appreciative of any help,
ddh

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess

Posted by Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>.

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 8 Jun 2011, at 21:01, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

> On 06/08/2011 09:50 PM, dhottinger@harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
>> I currently use .htaccess to prompt for username and password and point it to an ldap database running on my mailserver.  Im considering moving all my mail accounts to gmail.  Does anyone know if it is possible to authenticate with .htaccess pointing to gmail for info?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> ddh
>>

> gmail will not expose authentication procedures to the outside world.
>
> This would be quite silly.

Doesn't gmail fall within the bundle of google services that use - and give you - OpenID?

If so, you could ask your server admin whether they'd consider using the third-party
OpenID authentication module with Apache.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess

Posted by Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>.
  On June 8, 2011 16:01 , Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>  wrote:
> On 06/08/2011 09:50 PM, dhottinger@harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
>> I currently use .htaccess to prompt for username and password and
>> point it to an ldap database running on my mailserver.  Im
>> considering moving all my mail accounts to gmail.  Does anyone know
>> if it is possible to authenticate with .htaccess pointing to gmail
>> for info?
>
> gmail will not expose authentication procedures to the outside world.
>
> This would be quite silly.

Why would it be silly?

Please see http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/docs/GettingStarted.html

--