Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by kranga <kr...@k2d2.org> on 2004/10/01 00:10:54 UTC

Re: class for BpropFindMethod

BPropfind allows you to arbitrarily specify resources that you want to do a
propfind on. If all your resources are within a folder, then you can always
vary the depth value to get all the information (and perhaps more).
Microsoft is as usual trying to hijack the standard by introducing its own
extensions (another extension is the brief: header). Given that they were a
member of the RFC, it is despicable that they would knowingly introduce junk
extensions like this. Its their typical arrogant way of working and I say
that Slide should NEVER EVER support these M$ extensions.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.
And, just wondering, is there no need to handle the response differently?

Oliver

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.
No problem...

Thanks anyway :)

Oliver

Posted by IndianAtTech <In...@gmail.com>.
Sorry friend,

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.
IndianAtTech schrieb:
>>>if applicable a patch to the orignal PROPFINDMETHOD?
>

> I will try to add the patch to PROPFIND method. Let me know how to do that

I was just wondering how the code for your BPROPFIND method may look
like. Do you have a class of your own? If so would you donate it to the
Slide project?

Oliver

Re: class for BpropFindMethod

Posted by IndianAtTech <In...@gmail.com>.
>>if applicable a patch to the orignal PROPFINDMETHOD?

I will try to add the patch to PROPFIND method. Let me know how to do that

>>But it's not stated anywhere, and DAV:href allows absolute URIs and
complete paths as
>> well. So what does Microsoft implement?

In our case target URLS are with full path. Didn't check with absolute paths.
We need to test them

Regards
Sudhakar

Re: class for BpropFindMethod

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.
Do not know :(

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.
Right...

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.
That's great! Could you send the complete method or if applicable a
patch to the orignal PROPFINDMETHOD?

Thanks,
Oliver

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.
[Disclaimer: I am an MS fan]

I'd rather say, MS saw the need for further methods like the BPropfind
and saw that making this the standard would them *literally* take years.
  Judging from the WebDAV lists I think Julian has a better idea how
long it takes and how much hassle it is to get out the WebDAV standard ;)

Isn't it just like the SQL thing: Oracle wants this and that and starts
by doing it. IBM wants that and this and starts doing it. *Later on*
people discuss what will be a the standard, but both Oracle and IBM have
their extended functionality right away.

Bottom line: If Sudhakar manages to write something like a BPROPFIND
method and wants to contribute it to Slide I would be +1 for doing so.

Oliver

Posted by IndianAtTech <In...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,

Actually the reason to ask this question is we got a project related
to JavaClient-MS Exchange Server Communication. After thorough
investigation we find BPROPFIND as fast solution in our case

One good thing is by extending PROPFIND class we are able to develop a
class for BPROPFIND METHOD.

Some people who loves/likes both MS products/Open Standards faces some
problems. As MS products may try to hijak some of functionalities from
open standards. In such scenarios Java (Open Source API always will be
developed on Open standards) to MS products communication may be
complicated.

Anyhow we can leave this to slide developers as they know what to do
and what not.

Thanks for helping to all of you guys

Regards
Sudhakar

RE: class for BpropFindMethod

Posted by Miguel Figueiredo <mf...@maisis.pt>.

Hia folks,

 Again, don't remember correctly in witch context someone said that slide
would try to be MS-Compatible. At least I believe they meant
MS-interoperable.

 Also, I too agree with Julian and you folks. What's the point in supporting
MS extensions if they can change it over night? Worse! Poorly written and
bug-enabled!
 That's the strength in industry standards, in witch we should depend: only
the best thinkers contribute to a standard, making it mature. Also, a
standard is used by everyone, not just by one big company, improving
interoperability and reusability.

 I don't like monopolist entities, but Microsoft as cool products, really
productive tools when .net came our way. Wouldn't mind programming .net if
they would continue to support standards as they seemed to do these last
years: but these Microsoft 'standard' extensions make me feel like I belong
in the open source community, and that there will be a never ending fight
between them and us, despite how cool their tools look like.

 Best regards,
 Miguel

____

IndianAtTech wrote:
> Miguel Wrote:
>
> I don't know if Slide is supporting this MS webdav extension, but if
> I remember correctly someone said that slide was trying to be
MS-compatible.

What's the definition of "MS-compatible"? Which MS product? And how
compatible? In that it's interoperating, or so that it supports
MS-specific extensions?

> kranga wrote:
> Its their typical arrogant way of working and I say
> that Slide should NEVER EVER support these M$ extensions.

I'd say that if Slide wants to support MS extensions, it would make
sense to document them in an IETF document (after community review).

Julian

Re: class for BpropFindMethod

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by IndianAtTech <In...@gmail.com>.

kranga wrote:
Its their typical arrogant way of working and I say
that Slide should NEVER EVER support these M$ extensions.

Which is true??. Just confused

Re: class for BpropFindMethod

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

If ACL-inh="root", why cant user authenticate ?

Posted by Nick Longinow <ni...@vanhooseassociates.com>.
Help with a basic Slide/Dav question ?

In domain.xml:
Set /files acl-inheritance to 'root'.
Set root permissions to allow /roles/user permission "all" but have that
permission be inheritable=false.

<permission action="all" subject="/roles/root" inheritable="true"/>
<permission action="all" subject="all" inheritable="false"/>
<permission action="all" subject="/roles/user" inheritable="true"/>

Create user under /users, add a password prop, and add to /roles/user.
--> User cant login. !!

Now, Change inheritable on root permissions (above) to be true.

User can login!  I don't understand this.  I don't want to have to set the
permissions on the /roles/user to be inheritable because I am trying to
limit the access of the principal /roles/user to deeper branch nodes, and
only grant access to other principals, but if this inheritance is set to
true, then collections constructed down the line from /files will get this
permission, which I don't want it to have (and you cant remove it from that
deeper collection node...)

Re: class for BpropFindMethod

Posted by Stefan Lützkendorf <lu...@apache.org>.
I wouldn't say NEVER EVER.

I would say, if there is somebody who implements that, provides
test cases and documentation this (an IETF document would be nice, but
takes time) we can add this to slide. That the users of slide - responsable
for its self - has to determine whether to use it or not.

Actually slide contains always some MS extenstions:
1st "external transaction" which I found very usefull I my current project
and 2nd "subscriptions".
For BPROPFIND I can imagine it may reduce the number of webdav request-response
pair, and so may improve performance.

Stefan

Posted by Ingo Brunberg <ib...@fiz-chemie.de>.
I could not have said this better myself.

Ingo