Posted to user@sqoop.apache.org by Andrew Allaway <an...@outlook.com> on 2013/11/01 13:01:08 UTC

Re: Sqoop, sending for a loop - newby lost - SQL Server/Sqoop

Update -

All's fixed, my TCP/IP port 1433 and UDP 1434 were not open /*blushing*/

Live'n learn:)

Thanks all for help triaging my question!
Andy

Posted by Andrew Allaway <an...@outlook.com>.
Haaa Devin!  Thankfully I can leave that firewall to the pros. I'm an analytics folk, whose set up a microCluster at home to learn Hadoop/Hive/Sqoop/db-ETL/cube integration on. And gosh does it works great now! Best investment in learning I've spent all year - and it's fun to shut down a node and watch it keep ticking!

I got the new hardware for a great price, SQL 2014 CTP was free (exp New Year's Eve), Hadoop free, Hive free, Sqoop free & Debian free!  Gosh is the world changing or what?!  Software is so open:)

If you or anyone on this thread have or recommend any RDBMS-Hadoop-Hive-Sqoop blogs, websites, books or whatnot, lemme know.

I'm one'a those who has massive amounts of data to analyze (like many of ya) and am a SAS-SQL diehard.

Is there any "Kimbal" or "Inmon" of this Hadoop movement I would be sad to not be reading up on? I read Doug Cutting's blog and follow his tweets and all the big vendors I read up on (Cloudera, Horton, MapR, Pivotal, etc...).   Anything I'm missing?

I am joining a local Hadoop group in my community (Chicago), so I've the local network part covered. I've a nice weekend ahead of me and figure now that my cluster is tip-top, it's time to curl up to a good book, white paper, YouTube/podcast or whatnot.

Best,
Andy

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.