Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Baldauf Christoph <Ch...@wiedemann-group.com> on 2023/02/07 14:04:53 UTC

Checkout problem via http with file external pointing at redirected URL

Hi,

I think, I encountered a problem with the handling of file externals
that point to a redirected URL.
It looks to me like this issue is related to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4428, with the difference,
that file externals are involved instead of normal externals.
When doing a checkout of a project that contains such file externals,
the command line client returns the following error message:

(svn, version 1.14.2 (r1899510))
[[[
> svn co http://server/testrepo/project/trunk
Redirecting to URL 'https://server/testrepo/project/trunk':
 U   trunk
Redirecting to URL 'https://server/testrepo/testproject/trunk/doc/file_external.txt':

Fetching external item into 'trunk\my_file_external.txt':
svn: warning: W200035: sqlite[S19]: NOT NULL constraint failed: EXTERNALS.def_repos_relpath

Checked out revision 34.
svn: E205011: Failure occurred processing one or more externals definitions
]]]

The file external is not checked out.
In my case, the redirection points from http://server/ to https://server/.

The file external refers to the full http URL:

(externals property of project/trunk)
[[[
>svn pg svn:externals trunk
http://server/testrepo/testproject/trunk/doc/file_external.txt@30 my_file_external.txt
]]]

The output of svn --version is:

[[[
svn, version 1.14.2 (r1899510)
   compiled Sep 24 2022, 10:21:16 on x86-microsoft-windows

Copyright (C) 2022 The Apache Software Foundation.
This software consists of contributions made by many people;
see the NOTICE file for more information.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.apache.org/

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - with Cyrus SASL authentication
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme
* ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using serf.
  - using serf 1.3.9 (compiled with 1.3.9)
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme

(...)
]]]

The server version is 1.10.4 (r1850624).
Can anyone confirm this issue?

Best Regards
Christoph

> [...]
> >   - using serf 1.3.9 (compiled with 1.3.9)
> >   - handles 'http' scheme
> >   - handles 'https' scheme
> >
> > (...)
> > ]]]
> >

> > The server version is 1.10.4 (r1850624).
> > Can anyone confirm this issue?
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Christoph
>

> Thanks for the report.
>
> The issue is confirmed to still exist in 1.14.2: See the mail Pál Kovács to
> users@s.a.o with title "redirection error with file externals - possible bug" dated
> Saturday, March 11, 2023, archived
> https://lists.apache.org/thread/go4r3lflzy7yvq7bt4rnofyc46n59whh (and other
> places).
>
> I have filed this issue as SVN-4911:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4911
>
> Until it is fixed, have you found any kind of workaround that might benefit other

Hi Nathan,

Not really, sorry. The best solution I could come up with, was to switch to a repository - relative URL in HEAD (like: ^/testproject/trunk/doc/file_external.txt@30). But obviously, this is does not work if previous revisions shall be checked out.

Best Regards,
Christoph

Re: Checkout problem via http with file external pointing at redirected URL

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den sön 12 mars 2023 kl 22:46 skrev Nathan Hartman <hartman.nathan@gmail.com
>:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 9:05 AM Baldauf Christoph
> <Ch...@wiedemann-group.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think, I encountered a problem with the handling of file externals
> > that point to a redirected URL.
> > It looks to me like this issue is related to
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4428, with the difference,
> > that file externals are involved instead of normal externals.
> > When doing a checkout of a project that contains such file externals,
> > the command line client returns the following error message:

[...]

> Thanks for the report.
>
> The issue is confirmed to still exist in 1.14.2: See the mail Pál
> Kovács to users@s.a.o with title "redirection error with file
> externals - possible bug" dated Saturday, March 11, 2023, archived
> https://lists.apache.org/thread/go4r3lflzy7yvq7bt4rnofyc46n59whh (and
> other places).
>
> I have filed this issue as SVN-4911:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4911
>
> Until it is fixed, have you found any kind of workaround that might
> benefit other users?
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan

For the benefit of everyone watching this thread I'm cross posting what
I've already written in the other thread:

The issue #4428 was fixed in r1525902 but only for directory externals. The
same fix could be applied for file externals and I've committed a fix as
r1908926.

I will also nominate this fix for backport to 1.14.

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Re: Checkout problem via http with file external pointing at redirected URL

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.