Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joe Casadonte <jc...@northbound-train.com> on 2006/12/29 21:07:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Server Side Includes and diacritics (accented chars)

Is there a way to pass diacritics (accented characters) through SSI variables?
If I pass the actual accented character in:

<!--#set var="page-title" value="Essë" -->

FireFox (pedantically and annoyingly) displays the dreaded
black-diamond-with-a-question-mark in its place.  If I put in the HTML code:

<!--#set var="page-title" value="Ess&euml;" -->

then it looks as if the SSI is interpreting this HTML code and sending back to
the browser the accented character, not the HTML code, and so the browser
displays the BDWAQM still.

I decided to get fancy and tried something like this:

<!--#set var="page-title" value="Ess&amp;euml;" -->

hoping for a double interpolation, but no luck; it left the &amp; alone (of
course).  I even tried:

<!--#set var="page-title" value="Ess&#225;" -->

and

<!--#set var="page-title" value="Ess&#xE1;" -->

With the numerical code, I had the same problem as previous -- SSI did the
substituing for me and I wound up with a BDWAQM.  With the hex code, something
somewhere along the way simply deleted the character altogether!

Any ideas?  Thanks and Happy New Year!

joe