Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by "rp.andrew.moore" <rp...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/14 01:20:20 UTC

Installing Buildr on Solaris

Hi...

I'm having trouble finding any information about installing buildr on
solaris (10, x86).

I have to do it all from scratch... My main method of attempting this has
been using pkg-get to install ruby and rubygems.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any pointers, links or info on how to
install on solaris?

Regards,

Andrew

Re: Installing Buildr on Solaris

Posted by "rp.andrew.moore" <rp...@gmail.com>.
I finally got it to work... my advice is to go the JRuby route:

Install JRuby

1. Go to http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/ download the latest
jruby-bin-<version>.tar.gz
2. unzip and untar it
    # gunzip jruby-bin-1.1.4.tar.gz
    # tar -xvf jruby-bin-1.1.4.tar
3. make sure an environment variable named JRUBY_HOME points to the unziped,
untarred install
    # export JRUBY_HOME=/opt/jruby/jruby-1.1.4
4. make sure you add $JRUBY_HOME/bin to your PATH, and make sure your
$JAVA_HOME/bin is there too.
    # export PATH=$PATH:$JRUBY_HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/bin

Use JRuby to install buildr
(and it's dependencies... I first had to install net-ssh, hoe and
jruby-openssl)

    # jruby -S gem install buildr
            buildr requires net-ssh (= 2.0.3, runtime)
    # jruby -S gem install net-ssh -v 2.0.3
            Successfully installed net-ssh-2.0.3
    # jruby -S gem install buildr
            buildr requires hoe (= 1.6.0, runtime)
    # jruby -S gem install hoe -v 1.6.0
            Successfully installed hoe-1.6.0
    # jruby -S gem install buildr
            buildr requires jruby-openssl (= 0.2, runtime)
    # jruby -S gem install jruby-openssl -v 0.2
            Successfully installed jruby-openssl-0.2
    # jruby -S gem install buildr
            Successfully installed buildr-1.3.2-java

...and then I was good to go!

Posted by "rp.andrew.moore" <rp...@gmail.com>.
Yep, I have my JAVA_HOME set to the JDK... but to no avail.

Here's what I get whether I try to build rjb from source, or use "gem
install rjb":

# gem install rjb
Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-solaris2.8)
 1. rjb 1.1.6 (x86-mswin32-60)
 2. rjb 1.1.6 (ruby)
 3. rjb 1.1.5 (x86-mswin32-60)
 4. rjb 1.1.5 (ruby)
 5. Skip this gem
 6. Cancel installation
> 2

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

ruby extconf.rb install rjb
checking for jni.h... yes
checking for dl.h... yes
checking for locale_charset() in iconv.h... no
checking for nl_langinfo() in langinfo.h... yes
checking for setlocale() in locale.h... yes
checking for getenv()... yes
creating extconf.h
creating Makefile

make
javah -classpath ../data/rjb jp.co.infoseek.hp.arton.rjb.RBridge
cc -I. -I. -I/opt/csw/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-solaris2.8 -I. -I/usr/java/include
-I/usr/java/include/solaris -DRUBY_EXTCONF_H=\"extconf.h\"
-I/opt/csw/include -I/opt/csw/include -KPIC -xO3 -xarch=386 -xspace -xildoff
-I/opt/csw/include -I/opt/csw/include   -KPIC -I/usr/java/include
-I/usr/java/include/solaris  -c load.c
"/opt/csw/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-solaris2.8/config.h", line 16: warning: macro
redefined: _FILE_OFFSET_BITS
"jniwrap.h", line 17: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"jniwrap.h", line 18: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"jniwrap.h", line 19: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"jniwrap.h", line 21: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"jniwrap.h", line 23: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"jniwrap.h", line 25: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"jniwrap.h", line 27: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"jniwrap.h", line 29: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"jniwrap.h", line 31: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"jniwrap.h", line 32: warning: invalid white space character in directive
"load.c", line 145: undefined symbol: ARCH
"load.c", line 145: warning: improper pointer/integer combination: arg #1
"load.c", line 218: warning: assignment type mismatch:
        pointer to void "=" pointer to function(pointer to pointer to const
struct JNINativeInterface_ {pointer to void reserved0, pointer to void
reserved1, pointer to void reserved2, pointer to void reserved3, pointer to
function(..) returning int GetVersion.... (prints out a lot of stuff)...
cc: acomp failed for load.c
make: *** [load.o] Error 2

I have no idea what load.c is, but that seems to be what it is hung up on.
I get the exact same thing when I download the 1.1.6 source and try to
compile it using ruby.

Any ideas?

Re: Installing Buildr on Solaris

Posted by Ittay Dror <it...@gmail.com>.

rp.andrew.moore wrote:

> Thanks Ittay...
>
> I'm realizing my problem seems to be in the ruby-java-bridge (rjb-1.1.2)
> dependency. I seem to have installed ruby and rubygems successfully using
> pkg-get from blastwave.org.
>
> Then I try installing buildr via gems and in the process it tries to install
> the rjb dependency (it wants version 1.1.2 for some reason). RJB fails to
> compile locally...

did you export JAVA_HOME before installing the gems?

try:

JAVA_HOME=<jdk path> gem install rjb --version 1.1.2

as root

ittay

Ittay Dror <it...@gmail.com>

Re: Installing Buildr on Solaris

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:34 AM, rp.andrew.moore
<rp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ittay...
>
> I'm realizing my problem seems to be in the ruby-java-bridge (rjb-1.1.2)
> dependency. I seem to have installed ruby and rubygems successfully using
> pkg-get from blastwave.org.
>
> Then I try installing buildr via gems and in the process it tries to install
> the rjb dependency (it wants version 1.1.2 for some reason). RJB fails to
> compile locally...

We're heading for a new release, which will use RJB 1.1.6, I would
recommend looking at 1.1.6 first.  Once you gem install rjb, even
partially, it places all the necessary files in your gem directory,
giving you a change to try and compile it manually; specifically
you're looking for files in the ext directory which contain the build
script (extconf.rb), make file, C files, etc.

Most likely, it will have a problem compiling against the JNI headers
(or finding them to begin with).

Assaf

Posted by Ittay Dror <it...@gmail.com>.

rp.andrew.moore wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I'm having trouble finding any information about installing buildr on
> solaris (10, x86).
>
> I have to do it all from scratch... My main method of attempting this has
> been using pkg-get to install ruby and rubygems.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else has any pointers, links or info on how to
> install on solaris?

I did it once, I don't remember all the details but it wasn't too
difficult. You can get a ruby package from sunfreeware.com (or compile
it yourself). IIRC, rubygems I downloaded and built myself. The rest is
just 'gem install'

Ittay

Ittay Dror <it...@gmail.com>