Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2012/05/24 00:23:15 UTC

Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Hi,

Does anyone interesting in online machine learning?

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Thomas,

I think that none of us wants to start a flame war here.

As a disclaimer I have to remark that I'm biased towards Giraph as well
because besides my engagement at Mahout, I'm committer and PMC member of
Giraph.

Regarding commit statistics: a single commit can correct a comment or
rewrite a whole layer of an application, so looking at the raw number of
commits is useless.

In my personal opinion, Mahout will have to move away from
Hadoop/MapReduce for a lot of problems. The question which alternative
execution model to integrate is a hard one, as well as deciding when
this should happen. The answer to that question will determine the
future of Mahout, and a discussion about this should be unagitated.

I think the real question is whether BSP itself is the optimal execution
model (regardless of the flavor of implementation) or whether Mahout
should better wait for a viable implementation of an asynchronous
execution model similar to what is implemented in GraphLab.

--sebastian

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
These speeds are not far from what the new streaming k-means achieves
except that instead of 16 nodes it reaches those speeds (1 million points
in 20 seconds at 10 dimensions) on a single node.  This is with a trivially
parallel algorithm with no need for iteration.  Running this under Hadoop
would incur the normal startup costs (10-20 seconds with MapR), but
otherwise should run at the same speed adjusted for node count.

See https://github.com/tdunning/knn/tree/master/docs for more info on this
clustering algorithm.

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ted,

Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ted,

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.
It doesn't at all come into mahouts goals in anyway. all I am saying is
such a library could reduce the risk of mahout moving to bsp or any other
platform. And it is something non-map-reduce devs should try to push if
they want ease of adoption.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suraj Menon <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suraj Menon <me...@gmail.com>.
Steering back to relevance, it would be nice to know if there is an
expectation on features and benchmarks for any system to be considered
as a platform to implement machine learning algorithms on Mahout. This
would be a good input for Hama community. Compared to
Hadoop/MapReduce, Hama is young and evidently disruptive eventhough it
is and intends to be compatible with Hadoop as much as possible. But
if you have any inputs on aforesaid matters, it will be a good
direction for our community to test Hama.

Thanks,
Suraj

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Pls stop the matardor Ted.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
> Compared with Hama, what's the advantage of giraph? probably

probably mature implementation? :D

Anyway, what I said was not a discussion of your preferences.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Seba,

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Thomas,

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ted,

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ted,

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Manuel,

Posted by Manuel Blechschmidt <Ma...@gmx.de>.
Hi Edward,

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
CC'ing hama dev.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
CC'ing hama dev.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Fwd: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, we can express it with the superstep API very easy.

So if you're interested in my neural net, please follow:
https://github.com/thomasjungblut/thomasjungblut-common/blob/master/src/de/jungblut/classification/nn/BatchBackpropagationBSP.java

I will start once I have a bigger chunk of time ;)

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by Suraj Menon <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thomas,

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
We can separate them into two packages in ML module like this.

Traditional batch machine learning algorithms:
 - org.apache.hama.ml.batch

Online machine learning algorithms for massive and streaming data:
 - org.apache.hama.ml.online

The biggest advantage is we can share reusable code between the two packages.

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Thank you for your sharing!

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
OKay, then let's get started.

Posted by Praveen Sripati <pr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Thomas Jungblut <th...@googlemail.com>.
+1

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <th...@gmail.com>

Re: Online machine learning on top of Hama BSP

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
and same here :)

Posted by Vaijanath Rao <va...@gmail.com>.
+1 me too