Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Morten LAURITSEN <ml...@pictet.com> on 2006/02/22 09:15:46 UTC

Curious about Jackrabbit...

        Hello,

First of all, if this question is in any way inappropriate for this
mailing list, I am very sorry to be wasting your time. Please direct me
towards the right person / mailing list.

I was looking for an implementation of the JSR-170 which supports
searching and versioning, and google pointed me straight to jackrabbit.

I and my colleagues have been reading the information on the site, the
documentation, the source code, browsing the mail archives etc. trying to
get a feel for the maturity of the project.

Jackrabbit is an almost perfect fit for the requirements on a project we
will soon be working on, so naturally we are hoping we won't have to
implement all this functionality ourselves.

The recent 0.9 release and the quite active mailing list suggests that the
project is healthy and moving towards a stable release.

We realize there are no guarantees with free software, but how risky would
you guys say it would be to use 0.9 in a production environment?
Naturally, we aren't talking nuclear reactor content management. ;-)

Is there a roadmap / planned shipping date for the 1.0 release? Again, no
guarantees expected, just general idea.

If we do choose jackrabbit we will of course try to be good citizens,
contributing whatever we can.

Thanks for your time,

Morten LAURITSEN
--
mlauritsen@pictet.com
+41 (58) 323 13 67

Pictet & Cie, Banquiers                  Tel. +41 (0)58 323 2323
29, boulevard Georges-Favon              Fax  +41 (0)58 323 2324
CH-1204 GENEVE                            http://www.pictet.com/

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is
addressed  and  is  not intended to be relied upon by any person
without  subsequent written confirmation of its contents. If you
have  received  this  e-mail message in error, please destroy it
and delete it from your computer.
Any  form of  reproduction, dissemination, copying,  disclosure,
modification,  distribution  and/or  publication  of this E-mail
message is strictly prohibited.

Re: Curious about Jackrabbit...

Posted by Martin Perez <mp...@gmail.com>.
I have been using jackrabbit since months ago and it works like a charm. I
have released a jackrabbit-based product on january and until today I did
not have a single notice about problems related with jackrabbit. So I only
must say that even 0.9 version is usable on production environments.

There is a roadmap, but I cannot remember where it is. I think that you can
search on the mailing list because it was discussed here, but I'm sure that
someone from the development team is going to reply you very soon.

Martin

Posted by "Giancarlo F. Berner" <Gi...@TheBerners.ch>.
Next to the Apache Jackrabbit project, there are two additional
directions you may want to look at:
- JSR 170 compliant repositories (Jackrabbit, CRX)
- Applications based on JSR 170 compliant repositories (Communique,
Magnolia)

Jackrabbit is the Reference Implementation of the JSR 170 specification,
so it fulfills all requirements regarding the repository specs.
However, you may want to look at Day's powerful, fully JSR 170 compliant
CRX, the perhaps most powerful JSR 170 compliant repository on the market.
Check http://jsr170tools.day.com/crx/index.jsp to get an idea about
Day's CRX (www.day.com).

To give you an idea how reliable Jackrabbit is: There are already two
CMS based on Jackrabbit and CRX very well established on the market:
- Magnolia (www.magnolia.info) is built on Jackrabbit and very solid.
There are many professional applications (like http://www.mghihp.edu/ or
  http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/), which are built with Magnolia
and relying 100% on Jackrabbit.
- Communique is perhaps the best CMS on the market, based on CRX. Check
http://www.day.com for a large list of successfully implemented
applications running with Communique.

And perhaps the last reason to rely on the JSR 170 repository
technology: There is a company, http://www.xumak.com, which offers
professional services on JSR 170 specific technology (such as
Consulting, Training, Support and Project Engineering, for Communique,
Magnolia, CRX and Jackrabbit).

/giancarlo

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Morten LAURITSEN wrote:
> Is there a roadmap / planned shipping date for the 1.0 release? Again, no
> guarantees expected, just general idea.

there is a roadmap on asf jira, which gives you an overview of open
issues with the 1.0 release and a development roadmap for enhancements
in 1.1:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

There is also a draft version of a release plan:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.devel/5596

regards
  marcel

Re: Curious about Jackrabbit...

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
Morten LAURITSEN wrote:
> Jackrabbit is an almost perfect fit for the requirements on a project we
> will soon be working on, so naturally we are hoping we won't have to
> implement all this functionality ourselves.

Well, it's hard to help you know if it's a good fit without knowing what
you're trying to develop :) But of course this might be something you're
not at liberty to discuss ?
> The recent 0.9 release and the quite active mailing list suggests that the
> project is healthy and moving towards a stable release.

Yes there is a lot of interest in Jackrabbit, especially in Switzerland
:) I think that Jackrabbit is a fascinating new project, and it seems
that a lot of developers gather around this idea.
> We realize there are no guarantees with free software, but how risky would
> you guys say it would be to use 0.9 in a production environment?
> Naturally, we aren't talking nuclear reactor content management. ;-)
>
> Is there a roadmap / planned shipping date for the 1.0 release? Again, no
> guarantees expected, just general idea.
>
> If we do choose jackrabbit we will of course try to be good citizens,
> contributing whatever we can.

Actually one of the first ways to contribute is to test it and if you
see limits with the implementation, to contribute improvements, etc.

Regards,
  Serge...