Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by ra...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca on 1996/06/26 23:29:40 UTC

Re: Apache Group Membership

> Well, there's a list on the Web pages, and a procedure, too, if I remember.
> One becomes a member by being invited.

"Being Invited" is quite a fuzzy concept.

> 2. Value of vote. As it stands, most people in the Group are here because
> of their expertise in some area. What is a vote from a person whose only
> demonstrated skill is the ability to send mail worth?

Perhaps the person in order to qualify has to stick around on the list for
some minimum period and also either be an active tester or have had
significant pieces of code included in the distribution.

Personally, I have fixed a bug or two and contributed the mod_info module.
I wouldn't consider that sufficient to be a core Apache Group member.

-Rasmus

Re: Apache Group Membership

Posted by Michael Douglass <mi...@texas.net>.
On Wed, 26 Jun 1996 rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca wrote:

> > 2. Value of vote. As it stands, most people in the Group are here because
> > of their expertise in some area. What is a vote from a person whose only
> > demonstrated skill is the ability to send mail worth?
>
> Perhaps the person in order to qualify has to stick around on the list for
> some minimum period and also either be an active tester or have had
> significant pieces of code included in the distribution.

Well, since I caused this thread, I think I should respond to it...  It
does not really matter to me (ie. I'm not going to go kill myself) if I
get voting privilages here or not; as long as my voice is heard and my
input is of use.  Why post to a mailing list if your input is neither
wanted nor used.  As this thread seems to be growing (and now even has
it's own subject line!) I can tell that someone out there is listening;
and that's all that really matters.

If, at any time, my input because completely useless and unhelpful, then I'd
probably switch back to a read-only mode.  But as long as I feel that I can
be of some use to the general discussions, I will continue to post.

And I plan on reviewing the Apache code in order to better understand the
entire server and possibly assist on patches/upgrads in the future.  From
what I've seen, however, there is alot to this web server that is 1 really
cool, and 2 really complex from a first glance.

> Personally, I have fixed a bug or two and contributed the mod_info module.
> I wouldn't consider that sufficient to be a core Apache Group member.

Honorable mention at least? :)

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"