Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2012/06/09 10:06:30 UTC

[Httpd Wiki] Update of "DocsCommentSystem" by DanielGruno

Dear Wiki user,

The "DocsCommentSystem" page has been changed by DanielGruno:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DocsCommentSystem?action=diff&rev1=7&rev2=8

   * As a possible means of recruiting new committers and general contributors by lowering the bar for contributing to the documentation effort

  == Proposed solution ==
- The currently proposed solution is to use a new comment system developed for the Apache HTTP Server Project. For the time being, this solution is being hosted off-site, but plans are in motion to host this within the ASF.
+ The currently proposed solution is to use a new comment system developed for the Apache HTTP Server Project.
+
+ For the time being, this solution is being hosted off-site, but plans are in motion to host this within the ASF.

  === Technology ===
  The comments are added using a JavaScript snippet at the bottom of each page. Furthermore, a new section, called "Comments" will be added to the bottom of each affected page. This section is already ready for most translations, as it uses the build system's locale feature for setting the title of the section. As this will be incorporated directly into the XSL documents, there will be no need for documenters to add anything new to any page, it will happen automatically with each affected page.

- The backend system itself is run by Lua scripts on Apache 2.4 with mod_pLua and a MySQL database. Source codes can be found at http://c.apaste.info/source/
+ The backend system itself is run by Lua scripts on Apache 2.4 with mod_pLua and a MySQL database. Source codes are located in the infra repository.

  === Which pages can be commented ===
  The comment system will be available for all how-to guides and module pages. All index pages, quick references and the likes will not have the comment system attached to them. Furthermore, the comment system will not be available in the CHM or zipped versions (WAR?) of the documentation.

+ === Branches ===
+ Each branch (2.2, 2.4 and trunk) will have its own separate comments. We may choose to copy or move comments from one branch to another, and if this is deemed necessary, a plugin for the comment system will be set up to allow for easy movement between branches.
+
  === Languages ===
- We have the option of eiher run a separate comment thread for each translation of each document, or run it as a unified commentary, i.e. we can run a separate comment thread for the English and the French version of mod_lua.html or we can have them both display the same comments - this has yet to be decided.
+ The various translations will, together with the English version, share the same discussions. Threads will be based on the page that is being shown, not the language it is being shown in.
+ Comments about translations (typos etc) will be tolerated, but all other communication should be in English, so we have a better chance of moderating and following up on comments.

  === Moderating comments ===
- Comments will, in general, be allowed through without pre-approval. Comments with hyperlinks in them will require approval from a moderator before they are shown on the site. The comment system itself has a built-in touring test that should get rid of most of the spam (we have yet to receive any spam).
+ Comments will, in general, be allowed through without pre-approval. Comments with hyperlinks in them will require approval from a moderator before they are shown on the site. The comment system itself has a built-in Turing test that should get rid of most of the spam (we have yet to receive any spam).

  Any Apache committer that wishes to become moderator can do so by logging onto the comment system (see the "log in" link in each comment section) using their Apache committer id and password. Since this will be managed by the LDAP service, any new committers will automatically gain this right without any previous manual work done by the sysadmins.

@@ -43, +49 @@

  The comment system supports an XML export of comments (which can be found [[http://c.apaste.info/export.lua?site=httpd|here]]). At this time, there doesn't seem to be any pressing need for this, if we move to infra anyway.

  == Questions for further discussion ==
+ There are no outstanding questions. If you have one, please add it.
-  * Should translations have their own separate discussion threads, or should they show the same thread as the English version?
-  * If this is adopted to other branches, should 2.4 and trunk (and possibly 2.2) be linked, or should each branch have a separate discussion per subject?