Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Cruz <jo...@dialogic.com> on 2006/11/17 21:31:25 UTC

Web Application is unloaded from the server question

First of all, I'm new to Tomcat so forgive me if this question was
already posted. I did not find the answer in the archives.

I'm using Tomcat 5.5.20 (Standalone) JVM 1.5 from Sun, on a Red Hat
Linux Box OS version 2.6 on i386 box.

I was under the assumption that when a session timeouts, the specific
Web Application is unloaded from the server; thus, reducing the runtime
memory footprint of the tomcat server.

Is this correct and if so why don't I see this result?...I have set the
my Web App session timeout to 2 minutes in order to accelerate the
behavior.

I'm most concern in keeping the tomcat runtime memory to a minimum then
how fast a page is loaded.

Tx

	John M. Cruz
	Software Engineer, Staff
	Management Infrastructure Technology (MIT)
	Dialogic Research

	(973) 967 6662
	mailto:john.cruz@dialogic.com
	http://www.dialogic.com

RE: Web Application is unloaded from the server question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: John Cruz [mailto:john.cruz@dialogic.com]
> Subject: Web Application is unloaded from the server question
>
> I was under the assumption that when a session timeouts, the specific
> Web Application is unloaded from the server; thus, reducing
> the runtime memory footprint of the tomcat server.

Not true.  When a session times out, only that particular session object
and anything it is the sole referrer of is a candidate for garbage
collection.  Webapps are not removed unless they are undeployed.

> I'm most concern in keeping the tomcat runtime memory to a
> minimum then how fast a page is loaded.

Memory is cheap, annoyed users aren't; you might want to rethink your
priorities.  Of course, you should insure your webapps aren't resource
hogs, be that memory or any other finite entity.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.